Propane

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is there a advantage of propane over gasoline other then it burns a lot cleaner?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Burns cleaner less fuel related problems, almost Zero carbon... But has about 10 to 20 percent Less energy, and is far less handy to refuel, along with the availability of close at hand sources of fuel... I use to do small & medium farm tractors using LP ... no one ever did large HP tractors with LP.
You will burn more fuel for the same job, but it fuel cost's less per gallon.
A small leak can be much More damaging in an enclosed building, than a small gasoline leak.
I suppose the cleaner burning is it's Largest positive, and that may be enough to consider getting New equipment rigged for it. I don't think I would convert existing although I have converted a few gasoline generators to nat gas or propane... :smile:KennyV

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
Burns cleaner less fuel related problems, almost Zero carbon... But has about 10 to 20 percent Less energy, and is far less handy to refuel, along with the availability of close at hand sources of fuel... I use to do small & medium farm tractors using LP ... no one ever did large HP tractors with LP.
You will burn more fuel for the same job, but it fuel cost's less per gallon.
A small leak can be much More damaging in an enclosed building, than a small gasoline leak.
I suppose the cleaner burning is it's Largest positive, and that may be enough to consider getting New equipment rigged for it. I don't think I would convert existing although I have converted a few gasoline generators to nat gas or propane... :smile:KennyV

Hi Kenny,

Yup, propane has 10% fewer BTUs than gasoline but has a minimum 107 octane so you get a bigger "push" from each stroke. Go here for an independent study:

http://www.utmb.edu/tstem/tstemutil...Ansis MannieRondina_Propane_Vs_Gasoline_2.pdf

Here in Boise propane holds a 60% advantage over gasoline in price. Availability is better for delivered propane than for gasoline.

I'm surprised to hear you say that propane is less safe than gasoline. In an early 80's study it was deemed 10 times safer than gasoline in that it dissipates rather than pools. As far as using propane in enclosed spaces I need only to point toward propane powered forklifts in use.

There are tons of "old-wives tales" about propane horrors. I've been doing it for over 35 years and I have yet to experience them.

We fear what we don't understand. If you don't know gas - know your gasman...

Cheers!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
You should have made your user name HANK HILL

mullins87

Threads
It's funny you should bring this up, yesterday I was thinking about a propane conversion while I was mulching the leaves. I don't know how cost effective it would be for a home owner, but around here propane is a full $1/gallon cheaper than gasoline. The thing I really like about propane is its ease of storage. We have several local sources of propane, so refueling isn't a problem either. I don't know how much the conversion kits are, but I'm sure they are priced high enough to make me wonder if they are worth it.

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
It's funny you should bring this up, yesterday I was thinking about a propane conversion while I was mulching the leaves. I don't know how cost effective it would be for a home owner, but around here propane is a full $1/gallon cheaper than gasoline. The thing I really like about propane is its ease of storage. We have several local sources of propane, so refueling isn't a problem either. I don't know how much the conversion kits are, but I'm sure they are priced high enough to make me wonder if they are worth it.

I don't know what your mower is but, typically for a residential push mower, around $300-400. It should be OHV though.

If you know what your annual gallons are you can go here to see if it's worth it:

Clean Fuel LPG Propane Conversions, Eco-friendly