Propane

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I guess I'll have to take your word for it as I am unaware of any propane related accidents for mowers. .

My word for accidents while using propane for mowers???
I do not think it has been used long enough on mowers specifically to have any meaningful statistics...
Gasoline has been used for a Long time and most folks are very use to handling it... but that in itself is not saying gasoline is accident free. :smile:KennyV

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
My word for accidents while using propane for mowers???
I do not think it has been used long enough on mowers specifically to have any meaningful statistics...
Gasoline has been used for a Long time and most folks are very use to handling it... but that in itself is not saying gasoline is accident free. :smile:KennyV

And propane has been used as a motorfuel for almost as long. With an excellent track record.

As far as octane not contributing to performance, well, to say "it doesn't" is a fairytale. Ask anybody who races.

Propane isn't for everybody. There will always be some who don't understand it. Look at the Amish...

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
And propane has been used as a motorfuel for almost as long. With an excellent track record. As far as octane not contributing to performance, well, to say "it doesn't" is a fairytale. Ask anybody who races. Propane isn't for everybody. There will always be some who don't understand it. Look at the Amish...

Octane plays a big part in how a engine will Performs.

It really does not give any more hp.
One big thing for a race engine is the high octane gives you a faster throttle response getting you to max rpms faster. And will hold the rpms Gives the illusion of more hp. And with running high compression 14:1 if you run a low octane gas your going to burn a hole in a piston.

Now in you factory car or truck you are not going to notice any difference in every day driving but will get better gas mileage maybe 2 or 3 miles to the gallon.
If you was to run propane in a race car your just going to ride around in last place.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
And propane has been used as a motorfuel for almost as long. With an excellent track record.

As far as octane not contributing to performance, well, to say "it doesn't" is a fairytale. Ask anybody who races.

Propane isn't for everybody. There will always be some who don't understand it. Look at the Amish...

Alright Terry, trying to keep this as related to mowers...
Like I said: I have ran AG tractors on propane, I've used it, & still do use it but Not for mowing or in any engine anymore...
octane is required in Most fuels, but it is not a condition of higher octane (107) is going to make more HP in a small engine... There are mowers that barely have enough HP running on gasoline, switch them to propane and they will have Even Less.
So as to "ask anybody who races", (I've done that)... as far as I know no one has won many races running propane...
As far as the Amish not using propane, it is Not because they don't understand it!

You are just all over the place trying to defend propane... It dose Not need this type of defense, It's been used for a Long time for quite a few things... If it successfully gets into "common use" as a fuel for lawn mowing is yet to be seen...
it 'could' be used in almost any application, But I don't think you will find it extensively used in Aircraft Or Boats either.
My original thought & experiance was that propane is Not as handy a fuel when compared to the Most common used motor fuels. :smile:KennyV

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
Alright Terry, trying to keep this as related to mowers...
Like I said: I have ran AG tractors on propane, I've used it, & still do use it but Not for mowing or in any engine anymore...
octane is required in Most fuels, but it is not a condition of higher octane (107) is going to make more HP in a small engine... There are mowers that barely have enough HP running on gasoline, switch them to propane and they will have Even Less.
So as to "ask anybody who races", (I've done that)... as far as I know no one has won many races running propane...
As far as the Amish not using propane, it is Not because they don't understand it!

You are just all over the place trying to defend propane... It dose Not need this type of defense, It's been used for a Long time for quite a few things... If it successfully gets into "common use" as a fuel for lawn mowing is yet to be seen...
it 'could' be used in almost any application, But I don't think you will find it extensively used in Aircraft Or Boats either.
My original thought & experiance was that propane is Not as handy a fuel when compared to the Most common used motor fuels. :smile:KennyV

I'm all over the place? I just quote facts, not opinion. If you wish to debate the facts, answer with facts. It's that simple.

There certainly ARE mowers that are put into service for something they are not made for. Are these a good candidate? Hard to say.

Honestly, I really REALLY would like to see your reference as to a drop in horsepower. All I have to go on is seven years hauling a dyno around setting up Schwann's trucks - noting the before and after.

Actually there IS an aircraft application in the works. It's been used successfully in boats for years - four stroke only.

For heaven's sake, if you like using gasoline or diesel, keep using them! Just quit with the fairytales about propane. Sometimes it's best to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ooops! Meet Susan Roush McClenaghan at GIE+EXPO, October 24-26, 2012 | AmeriGas Propane Blog Don't you HATE it when that happens? What else can we discuss that you know absolutely nothing about?

Let's tell the whole story first off she is using a propane mix that we can not get at the local hardware store.
Second it cost her daddy around 1.5 mil for her to win that year. Her team mate who also runs the same set up as her did get second she beat him in the final pass.
We all know that in her class that at one time was stock street legal the one with the money wins. I read that the team saves about 70% using propane over race fuel but still cost more per pass because of the mods to the engine.
She one the points but never had the fast time. The car or the propane did not win the driver won by her skills as her car was never the fastest.

I called my machinist and talked to him. His opinion is my 30 thousand Dollar engine would turn into a 60 thousand dollar engine with the mods to the engine and car. I would lose pull out of the corners and blow more engine because would have to run a wet sump and not a dry sump.

Susan has to do a short build after every run where as the ones using racing gas can get 4 or 5 runs as her class can not run alcohol.

If the info I have found is wrong or not in line with what you think or know then fine
But there is no need for you to be a dick

I do not even use a propane grill

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm all over the place? I just quote facts, not opinion. If you wish to debate the facts, answer with facts. It's that simple.

There certainly ARE mowers that are put into service for something they are not made for. Are these a good candidate? Hard to say.

Honestly, I really REALLY would like to see your reference as to a drop in horsepower. All I have to go on is seven years hauling a dyno around setting up Schwann's trucks - noting the before and after.

Actually there IS an aircraft application in the works. It's been used successfully in boats for years - four stroke only.

For heaven's sake, if you like using gasoline or diesel, keep using them! Just quit with the fairytales about propane. Sometimes it's best to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

I'm beginning to think You may have some kind of Problem...
I have NO interest in debate, especially with someone that wants to gloss over the 'facts' or completely ignore them. (propane has a few positive aspects BUT it also has some Negative.) You are wanting to embellish the positive While minimizing or denying the negative.
I Do use Gasoline, Diesel & Propane... I see you like to use cutesy sayings... A few have came to my mind that would describe You...
I have only stated MY opinion based on Decades of actual experience with propane in Several mid size AG tractors, If YOU have any doubt about the ability of a propane vs. gasoline or diesel rig... Make it easy look at the BTU ratings: Diesel=138,000 per Gallon, Gasoline=124,300 per Gallon, Propane=92,300 per Gallon.

I was hopeful when I saw you join that along with your presence here you Might bring some useful input.... All I have seen so far is your 'pitch' as to how Wonderful propane is for mowing PLUS a lot of attacks on anything that is in any way negative for the fuel... YOU are the "fairytale"... KennyV

briggs

Threads
Octane plays a big part in how a engine will Performs.

It really does not give any more hp.
One big thing for a race engine is the high octane gives you a faster throttle response getting you to max rpms faster. And will hold the rpms Gives the illusion of more hp. And with running high compression 14:1 if you run a low octane gas your going to burn a hole in a piston.

Now in you factory car or truck you are not going to notice any difference in every day driving but will get better gas mileage maybe 2 or 3 miles to the gallon.
If you was to run propane in a race car your just going to ride around in last place.

10-4 on that