Propane

mullins87

Threads

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
The mowers are in my sig. Neat calculator. According to it, a conversion on both mowers would take about two years to break even.

Thanks! I made that!

I'm curious what your five and ten years savings are?

mullins87

Threads
Thanks! I made that!

I'm curious what your five and ten years savings are?

Well, I'd have to go back and refigure, but I'm thinking the 10 year savings were in the $1,500 range. Since I have two motors, it would take two conversions, or roughly $800. My savings for the first two years would pay for it.

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
Well, I'd have to go back and refigure, but I'm thinking the 10 year savings were in the $1,500 range. Since I have two motors, it would take two conversions, or roughly $800. My savings for the first two years would pay for it.

You can actually input your local propane price too. Around here it's about $1.65 for commercial mowing.

mullins87

Threads
I used local propane and gasoline pricing. Around here, gasoline has recently been creeping up towards $3.20, and the last propane I purchased was $2.19, which was about a month ago.

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
I used local propane and gasoline pricing. Around here, gasoline has recently been creeping up towards $3.20, and the last propane I purchased was $2.19, which was about a month ago.

Did you tell them it was for your business? Don't feel bad asking for a discount!

I've been involved with Statewide Landscaper Associations where I've used collective bargaining to obtain better pricing. It's bid yearly.

Everybody has to stay "current" though...

mullins87

Threads
I'm not commercial, I just have a larger yard and like to keep it looking nice.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Kenny,

Yup, propane has 10% fewer BTUs than gasoline but has a minimum 107 octane so you get a bigger "push" from each stroke. Go here for an independent study:

http://www.utmb.edu/tstem/tstemutil...Ansis MannieRondina_Propane_Vs_Gasoline_2.pdf

Here in Boise propane holds a 60% advantage over gasoline in price. Availability is better for delivered propane than for gasoline.

I'm surprised to hear you say that propane is less safe than gasoline. In an early 80's study it was deemed 10 times safer than gasoline in that it dissipates rather than pools. As far as using propane in enclosed spaces I need only to point toward propane powered forklifts in use.

There are tons of "old-wives tales" about propane horrors. I've been doing it for over 35 years and I have yet to experience them.

We fear what we don't understand. If you don't know gas - know your gasman...

Cheers!

Higher octane does not give an engine a better performance. It justs burns better and reduces engine ping, but that aint common in mowers.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Higher octane does not give an engine a better performance. It justs burns better and reduces engine ping, but that aint common in mowers.

Yep ... you are Right about octane... there are a few around that think higher octane is equal to higher performance.... But Like you said, that is Not the case, you Only need Just enough octane.
And a few other things to be expanded on, (not just to argue about something that someone is trying to sell)...
the safety issue, and Pooling... Propane is Heavy, it Always will pool, and will accumulate in the lowest place, it is an invisible gas, you will never see it... Inside it just builds up on the floor, Outside it 'May' disperse or it May go into the closest basement, just depends...
It 'can' be very safe to work with, I farmed for Years using mid size tractors on propane. I do "know" the gas & my gasman... but I also know how a lot of folks handle fuels.
If someone is mowing and they need a gallon of gasoline or diesel to finish a job, not a problem, they can dash to a service station, usually within a couple blocks, and get a gallon or 2, finish up and be done... run low on propane and you will not just grab a 5 gallon jug and find a handy source...
Delivery is not a problem... I still buy propane in bulk, usually around 700 to 800 gallons at a time. Not Many users of gasoline or diesel have delivery. It is Just too easy to pick it up As you need it.

Cold starts on propane are Less than ideal, I know they are better today than they were... but Still not perfect.
Over all if I were looking at a new machine for commercial or even large acreage, I would look First at Diesel, then Gasoline but I would be hard pressed to consider propane.
I Know propane exchanges are more readily available today for a BBQ grill, But that is likely the Most expensive propane you will ever buy, that 20 lb bottle is sold by the Pound, Not the gallon. and you can easily Run out early in the cook out...
As for the "old-wives tales" about propane horrors...they sill happen.

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
As for the "old-wives tales" about propane horrors...they sill happen.

I guess I'll have to take your word for it as I am unaware of any propane related accidents for mowers. I'm not even aware of any forklift accidents either. Automobile accidents with propane motorfuel tanks are always lauded for their toughness.

Propane Tank Explosions, Accidents and BLEVE's

Statistics are here: Propane Statistics

These aren't my numbers however they do jibe with my experience.

Cub Cadet (MTD), Scag, ExMark, Ariens (Gravely), Toro, Dixie Chopper, Husqvarna, EnviroGard, Bad Boy, Ferris, Zipper, Kawasaki (Engines and training), Lehr, Manchester/Worthington (approved left-handed threads), John Deere and Kohler must be unaware too.

No, I'm not a salesman. I DO have many years in the industry though and I've had this same discussion thousands of times.

There have been TWO major accidents in recent memory. Sunrise in Toronto and Atlas Foundry in Tacoma (which used to be my account). These two massive explosions were caused by employee error and resulted in two fatalities total. We're talking 30,000 Gallon bulk-storage vessels.

All I can do is furnish the facts. It's up to the individual to make an informed decision.

Your mileage may very but statistics are statistics. I'd be very interested in anything on the contrary.