Hustler Raptor 42 or Dixie Chopper Zee 1 1942 ?

wdrdoctor

Threads

Which of these mowers is better built? I know the dixie chopper has a briggs intek 19.5hp ,and the hustler raptor has a kawi.

Which mower is is tougher ,and better built?

Threads
I don't have any experience with these mowers, but just from people's experiences on the forum, I would lean towards the Dixie Chopper. I think the Kawasaki engine is better on the Hustler, but the machine itself has some cons. But I would DEFINITELY wait for other people's opinions first.

Here is someone's review of the Hustler:

"Bought a Raptor 52" 23.5 HP...about 3 months ago and had nothing but problems. I had it in the Shop 3 times...barely hit a small stump and bent the deck components... front tires wouldn't hold air..and the other day I was mowing grass that was a little high and a little wet but nothing my old Troybuilt tractor couldn't have handled and the deck started squeaking and frayed the belt.Needless to say I was fed up and feeling that I had thrown away $3,100 so I took it back to my dealer and received a full refund minus $100.My dealer treated me very well.I then purchased a Fastrak Super duty and WOW what a difference but for twice the price $5900.Also...the deck on the raptor is too shallow and can't tolerate even slightly wet grass blade speed creates a vacuum and holds the grass to the top of the deck when shut down the blades the grass would drop to the ground with no scraping.This was my first ZT and I was very disappointed.Hustler builds fantastic machines unfortunately this ain't one of'm.My dealer informed me he was no longer gonna carry this model because he only wants to sell quality mowers and I wasn't the only customer very unhappy with the Raptor for the same reasons.Hustler needs to recall this model and work the kinks out or the Raptor will hurt their reputation for building quality mowers. Trust me...STAY AWAY FROM THE RAPTOR... but most certainly.... STAY WITH A HUSTLER!... love my Fastrak SD it's' one hell of a mower.Standard rule of thumb...if the deck isn't chain hung... don't buy it."

(By PVHlll post #17: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/hustler-forum/16181-hustler-raptor-2.html)

wdrdoctor

Threads
I wanted to share some info regarding blade tip speed on these 2 mowers.

Hustler Raptor 42 - 16,500
Dixie Chopper Zee 1 1942 - 18,500

I know that this doesn't reflect on exactly how well built either mower is,but it's def. something for me to consider.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Which of these mowers is better built? I know the dixie chopper has a briggs intek 19.5hp ,and the hustler raptor has a kawi.

Which mower is is tougher ,and better built?

You really don't want either of those mowers, they both I believe are running the EZT drives that are the poorest on the market for one and the Briggs Intek really doesn't have a reputation as being much of an engine. As far as which of those are the tougher mower, the edge would have to go with the hustler only because it has the Kawasaki engine. For the price difference I wouldn't buy either. I'd buy the Dixie Chopper Zee 2 2142 it has the HD 2800 drive units, also the 21.5 hp Kawasaki engine and an 18900 Blade tip speed, better unit all around than either of the others.

wdrdoctor

Threads
I'm hearing that there is a new hustler raptor coming out very soon. Raptor Super Duty.
It will be interesting to see how much better it is,and how much more the price will increase.
One thing that's really nice about the Dixie Chopper,is it has a larger gas tank.

PVHIII

Threads
I'm hearing that there is a new hustler raptor coming out very soon. Raptor Super Duty.
It will be interesting to see how much better it is,and how much more the price will increase.
One thing that's really nice about the Dixie Chopper,is it has a larger gas tank.

The Raptor super Duty is the Hustler Sport Model with Raptor Super Duty decals..spoke to a rep about it....it's the same mower

PVHIII

Threads
I wanted to share some info regarding blade tip speed on these 2 mowers.

Hustler Raptor 42 - 16,500
Dixie Chopper Zee 1 1942 - 18,500

I know that this doesn't reflect on exactly how well built either mower is,but it's def. something for me to consider.

I owned the Raptor for about a month didn't like it... took it back and Bought a Fastrak Super Duty and I'm more than satisfied with it...if your looking for a good home owner's model I'd suggest the Hustler Sport model...just depends on how much your mowing and how rough the terrain is.. The Raptor is a good mower if you have a really smooth yard ...it's not made to withstand rough terrain..my mother in law has a Raptor and hasn't had any problems with it but she has a nice flat smooth yard...but it wouldn't hold up for my yard...the deck components need to strengthened on the Raptor...THAT'S A FACT

PVHIII

Threads
The Raptor Super Duty is the Sport model with Raptor Super Duty Decals

wdrdoctor

Threads
So if the Raptor Super Duty is the Sport,then that means the so called better Hustler Raptor is going to have a smaller gas tank?
The current Raptor has a 3 gallon tank,and the Hustler Sport has a 2.1 gallon tank. That would be messed up in my opinion!
So is the price of the Raptor Super Duty going to be the same price as the Hustler Sport?
Hmmm...very very interesting!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Raptor super Duty is the Hustler Sport Model with Raptor Super Duty decals..spoke to a rep about it....it's the same mower

If it's the sport model It's still running those EZT drives that are crap at least the sport does. I'd still go with the Dixie Zee 2.