Lawn Boy motor swap?

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am posting this in hoping that I can get some info on swapping motors on a Deluxe 19 inch lawn boy from about 1975. Is there any motor that can fit on this with not too much difficulties? I tried with a GCV160, but did not work. I searched a lot, but couldn't find much.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Without the model number I can't be sure but I think you have a D-series engine on that '75 LB. Most D-series engines should bolt on.

robinb66

Threads
Without the model number I can't be sure but I think you have a D-series engine on that '75 LB. Most D-series engines should bolt on.

If you are willing to replace the whole muffler plate and muffler you can also mount any f series too it, but you must mount the mounting plate and muffler from the f series you intend to use!

Hammerdown

Threads
If you are willing to replace the whole muffler plate and muffler you can also mount any f series too it, but you must mount the mounting plate and muffler from the f series you intend to use!

Hello
Responder robinb66 Is correct here. This winter my son in law & I plan on Transplanting his V-series engine from a steel deck over onto a Gold series cast aluminum Deck that had an F-series engine on it and is a Three speed Transmission, where as the V-series deck is a single speed Transmission. I have the F-series block mounting plate as well as the F-series muffler that will complete the Transformation job, I Harvested the F-series engine off the gold deck so I would have a spare F-series engine in case I may need it for my Commercial Model 22214 Machine. . The V-engine has a Lot more Torque than the earlier made F-series engine so it should be a Mulching Fool with a V-series engine on the gold series deck when we are done with it. Regards, Hammerdown

Phototone

Threads
I'm not sure you can mount a V series engine on a deck designed for an "F" engine, regardless of muffler plate.

impalass

Threads
Hello
Responder robinb66 Is correct here. This winter my son in law & I plan on Transplanting his V-series engine from a steel deck over onto a Gold series cast aluminum Deck that had an F-series engine on it and is a Three speed Transmission, where as the V-series deck is a single speed Transmission. I have the F-series block mounting plate as well as the F-series muffler that will complete the Transformation job, I Harvested the F-series engine off the gold deck so I would have a spare F-series engine in case I may need it for my Commercial Model 22214 Machine. . The V-engine has a Lot more Torque than the earlier made F-series engine so it should be a Mulching Fool with a V-series engine on the gold series deck when we are done with it. Regards, Hammerdown
A V-engine is not a good good engine. Made very cheap.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello everyone, thankyou for all the input! I have been very busy. I am sorry for the late reply.

As for the model number it is: 5269 G. It has a green top written "Deluxe 19".

Now, is there any place where I can get a specific motor that will fit on there? I have read your responses saying that I can put a V-series engine. Where can I get such a motor?

Phototone

Threads
Hello everyone, thankyou for all the input! I have been very busy. I am sorry for the late reply.

As for the model number it is: 5269 G. It has a green top written "Deluxe 19".

Now, is there any place where I can get a specific motor that will fit on there? I have read your responses saying that I can put a V-series engine. Where can I get such a motor?

I can't fathom why you would want to put a V engine on it. They are not very good engines, when compared to the previous D and F engines. Just put an F series engine on it, and be done with it. I love the 19" size lawnboy mowers. The engine is not specific to 19" or 21" models, they are the same. The only difference you will encounter are muffler plates which are different for steel deck or aluminum deck mowers. You can find engines at lawnmower salvage yards, or popular auction sites. Clean it up, put new rings in it, seals, and new reeds and it should be like new.

Hammerdown

Threads
A V-engine is not a good good engine. Made very cheap.

Hi
I don't agree with that statement at all, & to say that You must now know much about the V-series engines.:ashamed: The only bad side of the V-Engine is the Chessy Mufler that is Wafer thin and always' seem's to crack and break apart. The reason for that is that they used Self Tapping screw's to hold it on and they often loosened up from vibration. An F-series muffler will bolt up to the V-block. The V-block has more Torque than the F-series engines and I think because it has higher Port's in it's cylinder Jug than the earlier F-series engines. The head is different on a V-block versus the f-series duer to more Torque and slightly Higher RPM they ned mkore cooling fin's to keep cool when running but most of the internal engine parts are the same between the V-series and F-series engines. I have an F-series commercial mower and my son in law has a V-series silver line single speed Transmission steel deck mower & His has More Noteable Power when cutting grass. We Plan on converting the V-series engine over onto a Gold series deck later on this winter so that he will have the aluminum deck and three speed Transmission coupled to the V-series engine with an F-series muffler on it. I do know that run side by side his V-series engine has a lot more power than my F-series engine... Hammerdown

Phototone

Threads
Hi
I don't agree with that statement at all, . I do know that run side by side his V-series engine has a lot more power than my F-series engine... Hammerdown

Just out of curiosity, have you checked the compression on your F-series engine? Perhaps it might need new rings?