Ferris Mower Trouble - Help Please

2muchmowin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Has anyone had experience w/ wheel motors leaking? I have a Ferris Z1500 (bought new 2006), 335 hours and wheel motors are leaking and a Ferris dealer says they don't offer a "seal kit" and I need to buy new wheel motors
Price $500 per wheel -- any help /suggestions appreciated

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check who made the wheel motors... The manufacture will have parts and pieces available...
Depending where it is leaking it could be something as simple as an Oring or the wrong oil OR loose bolts.

Taking one apart requires paying attention, but start with the make and model of the wheel motor...
I see this is your FIRST post ... welcome to the FORUM!!
post back, when you can....:smile:KennyV

noma

Threads
Hi 2 muchmowin

Welcome aboard , Yes we are having very good weather here in Minnesota to ,:confused2:temp up to 40 degrees today. They are talking weather like this all week, so we are enjoying it because we know it will not last. I'm sure we got a least one more snow storm yet before spring comes around.:licking:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi 2 muchmowin

Welcome aboard , Yes we are having very good weather here in Minnesota to ,:confused2:temp up to 40 degrees today. They are talking weather like this all week, so we are enjoying it because we know it will not last. I'm sure we got a least one more snow storm yet before spring comes around.:licking:

Hey noma...
I think you put your response in the wrong spot... Oops. :smile:KennyV

2muchmowin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Kenny -- I called the ferris company and they had a number for the manufacturer (hydro gear)

So I could not purchase seal kit direct from hydro gear but took the machine to a local hydro gear distributor -- they have experience replacing seals etc and said it would only take 1 hr 15 minute

Thanks again

noma

Threads
Hi

Thanks Kennyv yes i did and i noticed it after i did it so i just left it.:eek:

mountaincut

Threads
I wanted a Ferris and after doing a fair amount of research decided that the Evolution was the best model for my use on a little over 2 flat acres. Late last fall I purchased a demo Ferris 48" Evo, at auction, with 24 low hours, from being on demo I was told. Before picking up the mower I rode it around the lot and had the blades turning and everything worked as expected. The seller was a Ferris Dealer that was going to concentrate of selling his main line only, John Deere.

After using the mower twice the belt providing power to the deck broke and found an almost powder of rubber under the protective covers. I noticed some rust on nearly all of the pulleys and think I can remove the rust with a wire brush and emery cloth to polish the surfaces nearly smooth. My question is if I should use a rust preventative treatment and coating (like POR 15 Rust) on the surfaces AFTER cleaning them or if you think I am wasting my time and need to replace every pulley on the mower deck or do I have another problem that I need to look for. The lower belt, delivering power to the blades, is in decent shape with those pulleys showing similar but slightly less rust conditions.:confused2:

The mower is terrific otherwise and I can't wait for the snow to melt, grass turn green and be long enough to mow again.:cool:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I wouldn't worry much about the rust, but you need to find out what was rubbing the belt to make that powder. With the belt off, rotate everything by hand, and
see if you have any rough or noisy parts, when putting the new belt on, make sure that the belt isn't put on the wrong side of a keeper, so you ought to take the covers off so you can see the belt all the way around.

Just to say, some dealerships disconnect the hourmeters from their demos, so they won't show too many hours.........

mountaincut

Threads
I will check everything again but it all seemed so smooth. I hit every fitting with a grease gun before using it just to be sure but that again doesn't mean much if something has seized up. The largest deposit of "dust" was near the double pulley where the blade drive also is included.

Thanks for the suggestion.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
seals are sold by number or size. Most seal will have a number them someplace Any bearing and seal sales business should be able to sell you seals. You should be able to buy the seal also from NAPA. I buy most of my seal right off E-Bay. If you know the seal sizes just look up a seal chart and it will give you the seal numbers.