4 stroke hand held equipment

PVHIII

Threads
All of my hand held equipment is 4 stroke and I've had good luck with'm...I like the extra torque and the time and money saved from not having to mix fuel... I'd like to hear some feedback from others who use 4 stroke and some LCO'S who do..will they hold up for commercial use? Why? and why not thanks

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
All of my hand held equipment is 4 stroke and I've had good luck with'm...I like the extra torque and the time and money saved from not having to mix fuel... I'd like to hear some feedback from others who use 4 stroke and some LCO'S who do..will they hold up for commercial use? Why? and why not thanks

What kind of 4 stroke are you using? Personally I really like the Stihl 4mix hand held equipment which is 4 stroke. I run the BR 550 blower, Fs 90r and 110r Fc90 have ever since I started, I do have some 2 stroke stuff I use some but much prefer the 4mix and the Stihl line of equipment.

PVHIII

Threads
What kind of 4 stroke are you using? Personally I really like the Stihl 4mix hand held equipment which is 4 stroke. I run the BR 550 blower, Fs 90r and 110r Fc90 have ever since I started, I do have some 2 stroke stuff I use some but much prefer the 4mix and the Stihl line of equipment.

All Troy-built hand held equipment... not commercial grade but I run the hell out of'm...I have a ton of weed eating and blowing to do on my property.. but I run only premium fuel in all my equipment ( no ethanol ) and I do frequent oil changes with Royal Purple synthetic oil..I'm just as anal about my maintenance as I am my work

PVHIII

Threads

And all I've done to'm in 4yrs of use is oil and plug changes..never have to pull more than twice to start...my weed eater is electric start but the only time I use the starter is for fun:laughing:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
And all I've done to'm in 4yrs of use is oil and plug changes..never have to pull more than twice to start...my weed eater is electric start but the only time I use the starter is for fun:laughing:

The four stroke equipment is real good equipment no doubt. I really like the four stoke and the reason I went with the Stihl was the weight difference. You still get the power and torque but without the added weight of the crankcase and oil to carry all day long. The only things I've ever had to do is change plugs and air filters and clean the spark arresting screen on occasion other than that they've been great units for the last seven years.

PVHIII

Threads
The four stroke equipment is real good equipment no doubt. I really like the four stoke and the reason I went with the Stihl was the weight difference. You still get the power and torque but without the added weight of the crankcase and oil to carry all day long. The only things I've ever had to do is change plugs and air filters and clean the spark arresting screen on occasion other than that they've been great units for the last seven years.

Thanks for your Input.. was just wondering about it after my dealer told me all 4 stroke hand held stuff was junk

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for your Input.. was just wondering about it after my dealer told me all 4 stroke hand held stuff was junk

I don't know why but I've just had a feeling that the two stroke equipment is going to be going obsolete in the near future. I know that most of the two stroke outboard motors we used to run are now four stroke and when Stihl went to there 4 mix engines it got me wondering how much longer the two stroke was going to be around. From what I understand Echo had applied for there version of the 4 mix engine and was turned down because Stihl already had the patient.

PVHIII

Threads
I don't know why but I've just had a feeling that the two stroke equipment is going to be going obsolete in the near future. I know that most of the two stroke outboard motors we used to run are now four stroke and when Stihl went to there 4 mix engines it got me wondering how much longer the two stroke was going to be around. From what I understand Echo had applied for there version of the 4 mix engine and was turned down because Stihl already had the patient.

That explains my dealers comments....all he sells is Echo...and I noticed you refer to'm as "4 mix"...is there a difference between 4 mix and regular 4 stroke?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
That explains my dealers comments....all he sells is Echo...and I noticed you refer to'm as "4 mix"...is there a difference between 4 mix and regular 4 stroke?

The regular 4 stroke has the crank case the holds your oil and you carry all that around with you all the time and you change the oil like once a year or whatever. The Stihl 4 mix unit is a 4 cycle or stroke engine that runs on a 2 cycle mix same as a 2 stroke engine thus the name 4 mix. You get still get the advantages of the 4 stroke engine the power and torque but without the added weight of the crankcase and oil.

I mention the weight difference, for example my FS 90 Stihl has a 31.4cc engine and weighs 11.7lbs. The Honda 4 stroke trimmer, there small unit with a 25cc engine weighs 13lbs, there large unit with a 35 cc engine weighs 15.4 lbs and when you carry or use a trimmer all day that's a big difference.

Last edited:

MRCo.

Threads
First comment is that the Stihl isn't a true 4 cycle, but has valves like a 4 cycle. They have the torque but are a pita when the carb blips, it's basically time for a new one.

For a four cycle, there are certain advantages- more torque, lower noise and easier starts than two cycle. But thevissue is that the oil needs to stay reservoired in thevbottom of the crank case so they have a limited range of motion- you cant, say, invert them.

In 4 stroke there are only two serious choices: Honda and Dolmar. Honda make great engines, period. But their trimmers are heavy, as already mentioned. Great performers...heavy.

Dolmar 4 cycles are excellent machines, not very well known...but once you try one you will be impressed. They are as light and compact as an equivalent two stroke. And the big deal is that Dolmar have a 360 degree use 4 cycle, including the new multi tool that was at GIE. No one else has that. You should check them out.