4 stroke hand held equipment

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
First comment is that the Stihl isn't a true 4 cycle, but has valves like a 4 cycle. They have the torque but are a pita when the carb blips, it's basically time for a new one.

For a four cycle, there are certain advantages- more torque, lower noise and easier starts than two cycle. But thevissue is that the oil needs to stay reservoir-ed in the bottom of the crank case so they have a limited range of motion- you cant, say, invert them.

In 4 stroke there are only two serious choices: Honda and Dolmar. Honda make great engines, period. But their trimmers are heavy, as already mentioned. Great performers...heavy.

Dolmar 4 cycles are excellent machines, not very well known...but once you try one you will be impressed. They are as light and compact as an equivalent two stroke. And the big deal is that Dolmar have a 360 degree use 4 cycle, including the new multi tool that was at GIE. No one else has that. You should check them out.

Yes The Stihl 4 mix engine is a true 4 cycle engine, it's a single cylinder four-stroke engine with gas-oil lubrication. It may not be the old 4 stroke as you know it but never the less it's a true four stroke engine and unlike the old 4 stroke you can use the stihl in any position, there are no limitations.

MRCo.

Threads
We can argue semantics on that one. Officially, it is a "4 stroke hybrid"- termed that by Stihl themselves. A true 4 banger has an oil reservoir, the lubrication and fuel systems are separate.

jtk

Threads
I would argue that if an engine has a cycle that is: Intake, Compression, Power, Exhaust it is a 4 stroke regardless of where the oil is contained

PVHIII

Threads
I would argue that if an engine has a cycle that is: Intake, Compression, Power, Exhaust it is a 4 stroke regardless of where the oil is contained
Yep....and I'd have to put that in category of "COMMON SENSE" :rolleyes:

PVHIII

Threads
We can argue semantics on that one. Officially, it is a "4 stroke hybrid"- termed that by Stihl themselves. A true 4 banger has an oil reservoir, the lubrication and fuel systems are separate.

So if a two stroke outboard engine that has a separate reservoir for the two cycle oil a "two stroke hybrid" or is it four stroke because it has a separate oil reservoir...I see no logic in your post.. with all due respect

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

From the Stihl Manual it's a single cylinder four stroke engine with gas-oil lubrication. As I said It may not be the old school 4 stroke as you know it but never the less it's a true four stroke engine.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

A true 4 banger has an oil reservoir, the lubrication and fuel systems are separate. So do some two strokes engines so what's your point? I'll have to do a search but I've never heard stihl refer to them as hybrid, at least it's not in there manual.

PVHIII

Threads
A true 4 banger has an oil reservoir, the lubrication and fuel systems are separate. So do some two strokes engines so what's your point? I'll have to do a search but I've never heard stihl refer to them as hybrid, at least it's not in there manual.

It wouldn't matter...even if Stihl did refer to them as a hybrid...IT'S STILL A TRUE 4 STROKE...only difference is in how it's lubricated.. which doesn't change the stroke..your 100% correct ..a four stroke is a four stroke even it required no oil whatsoever

MRCo.

Threads
I would agree.