LED Light Bar

Bridge

Forum Newbie
Threads
New poster here.

Question: I have a John Deere LA 105 lawn tractor at my other house (the house we're moving to), my question, I want to add an LED flood light bar. Is the lawn mower 6 or 12 volt?

I'd like to order the light bar and bring it with me next weekend, thanks

panabiker

Threads
I'm pretty sure it's 12v as most riding mowers are. Sometimes it says it on the battery, or you can measure the battery with a voltmeter/multimeter.

Also make sure that the light bar can tolerate a bit more than 12v. When the mower is running, the voltage can go above 14v. I replaced the headlamps with LED bulbs on my mower two summers ago and most LEDs are now burned out and the individual LEDs have fallen off.

Bridge

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm pretty sure it's 12v as most riding mowers are. Sometimes it says it on the battery, or you can measure the battery with a voltmeter/multimeter.

Also make sure that the light bar can tolerate a bit more than 12v. When the mower is running, the voltage can go above 14v. I replaced the headlamps with LED bulbs on my mower two summers ago and most LEDs are now burned out and the individual LEDs have fallen off.

Thank you for the reply.

I'll put a meter on the battery.

itguy08

Threads
Automotive LEDs should be good for the slight over voltage as a car battery charges at 13-14v and that's what the car system runs at when the engine is running.

Another thing to think of if you are running off the light circuit is that in many systems the light circuit is AC. That is true for those systems where the lights are only on when the engine is running. That can be a problem as cars only get DC.

Last edited:

txzrider

Threads
I think you meant to say cars only get DC...

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would hook the lights up from the battery using a rocker switch so they don't dim at lower rpms.

chobbs1957

Threads
Automotive LEDs should be good for the slight over voltage as a car battery charges at 13-14v and that's what the car system runs at when the engine is running.

Another thing to think of if you are running off the light circuit is that in many systems the light circuit is AC. That is true for those systems where the lights are only on when the engine is running. That can be a problem as cars only get AC.

It's not hard to add a hookup direct from the 12VDC battery by adding an inline fuse and rocker switch. Just be sure to turn off when engine is off! Leaving lights on really zaps a lawnmower battery. I confess that I have learned that the hard way.:rolleyes:

FIYW9G7HGU2LBIO.LARGE.jpg F76VN94HGU28325.LARGE.jpg

Nwatson99

Threads
SBL has this little beauty that throws 2510 lumens for $79.95.
4" Quad Row Heavy Duty Off Road LED Light with Multi Beam Technology - 36W | Off Road Light Bars | LED Work Light & Off Road LED Light Bars | Super Bright LEDs | Super Bright LEDs

Granted the light bars are much cheaper but, running at even 1/2 speed, they may not reach far enough to cut at a comfortable pace.

Just throwing this out there, but this would be easier to mount on your mower and look at this photo for a night shot.
Here is the light bar I would use: 8" Heavy Duty Off Road LED Light Bar - 18W | Off Road LED Light Bars | Super Bright LEDs | Super Bright LEDs

This shot was dead of night and really foggy out at 40 yds.
gallery_1_11_91610.gif

Here it is mounted on my Rubicon
gallery_1_11_267015.jpg
gallery_1_11_411567.jpg