John Deere LX 176 - No Spark

cummins600seriesdiesel

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere LX 176 tractor that has no spark. I started the tractor and began mowing when the tractor just died like it ran out of gas. I checked the gas which was full. I decided to go buy a new plug and fuel filter. I installed both and it still would not start. I pushed the tractor to the garage to check it out. I noticed the tractor had no spark. I went to the Deere dealer and bought a new coil. After it was installed I still had no spark. I spoke with a guy at a local repair shop and he said he had a couple Deere tractors that the key ignition w/ board had went bad. Well back to the Deere dealer and made the purchase of a nice new key ignition w/ circuit board. Installed the new part and no spark. I then started looking at the ignitor. For this part I checked with Napa and they were able to cross it over. I got the ignitor and installed it again with no spark. I thought maybe I had got a bad new coil and went back to Deere and purchased another. You guessed it still no spark. I figured hey lets go back to Deere and drop another $100 on another part so I went and bought the original factory Deere igntor. NO SPARK. I've pulled every connection apart blew it out and cleaned it. Bought a new battery and another new spark plug. I pulled the spark plug boot off and placed a small screw in the end of the coil lead and noticed a small spark. I then went to the dealer and bought a new coil to spark plug boot and installed it with no spark. I unhooked the kill wire from the coil and still no spark. Tested the safety switch and they are all making their loop. Checked fuses in the circuit board and they are all good. I also put a new PTO take off switch in. I'm at a loss and out of options. The magnet was checked and found to have a small crack but still has plenty of pull. Flywheel is clean along with the magnet contact all set using the business card method. Not sure where else to go. Any ideas. 1998 I believe. John Deere LX 176 K Series 14 Hp High Torque with Overhead Valves and Electric Ingition. Code : FC420V-AS10 E# FC420VA63547 Kawasaki *MOL176XO71836*

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
After all you have done and you still have no spark...! check the below and then come back.

Attachments

• ignition system fc420.bmp
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • coil air gap fc420.bmp
    973 KB · Views: 25

cummins600seriesdiesel

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay I checked the air gap and it was fine. I did notice this morning that I had the plug out and grounded when I cranked it over. I noticed I guess an intermediate spark for the first few revolutions then gone. The spark was a whitish blue. I cranked it a little more and nothing. I took the plug cap off and again placed a small screw in the end. I cranked it over and tapped the screw on the cylinder which occasionally gave a little spark. The only thing I haven't changed was the flywheel. I seen in the manual that everything has been changed according to Deere except the flywheel. It said the magnet may be demagnetised. Seems like it had plenty of pull but after every part I replaced now I hate to see how much a new flywheel is. If the magnet has a faint crack and when placing the contact plate on seemed to have plenty of pull is this possible to be the problem. Searching..........

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Before you do replace the flywheel is there a way that you could post up a good photo of the faint crack, I know its your $'s but it does seem to be the only part on the ignition system that is left to be replaced.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check your spark again, use a new plug loose, but plugged onto the coil wire. With insulated pliers hold the metal of the plug against a metal part of the engine while someone cranks.