strange snapper push mower

deforrest13

Forum Newbie
Threads
i tried to start my snapper and the motor squeeled like a rabbit caught in a trap it scared me crazy what could cause this???

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Depends ... What snapper is it?
If it has any belts, it could be a belt... if it has any idlers or pulleys with bearings it could be that... If it is a pull start, it could be the rope rewind system... If it's electric start, it could be the starter Bendix...

Tell us more about your mower...
I see this is your first post, Welcome to the group and post often..
:smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
i tried to start my snapper and the motor squeeled like a rabbit caught in a trap it scared me crazy what could cause this???

Wouldn't a low oil level cause scraping or squealing sounds? To be honest I wouldn't know as I have NEVER tried to start any engine with a low oil level.

jenkinsph

Threads
Wouldn't a low oil level cause scraping or squealing sounds? To be honest I wouldn't know as I have NEVER tried to start any engine with a low oil level.

Not likely, if this is even a remote possibility the engine is toast anyway. The questions Kenny asked are much more likely to be the issue.

I do an inspection of the mowers and belts, LOF check for problems before pulling the starter rope.

173abn

Threads
also might check that the engine shroud isn't touching the flywheel. russ

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
also might check that the engine shroud isn't touching the flywheel. russ

Good point....hmmm, maybe loose blade hitting something under the deck?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Perhaps "a rabbit caught" under the deck...
We are not going to be able to 'guess' any better until deforrest13 returns with more information... or that he has identified what is causing it...
deforrest13... come back... tell us whats up. :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Perhaps "a rabbit caught" under the deck...
We are not going to be able to 'guess' any better until deforrest13 returns with more information... or that he has identified what is causing it...
deforrest13... come back... tell us whats up. :smile:KennyV

Maybe we scared him off with all our expensive hints.....:laughing: