Liming the yard

Grasstrology

Threads
I'm planning to lime my yard, but I can't seem to find a good way to spread it without breaking my back. Is there a better way to apply lime than bending over? Thanks

mullins87

Threads
Try to pick up some pelletized lime. It should go through the spreader and will fall through the grass to the ground where it will dissolve as it rains. Otherwise, rent/borrow/buy a drop spreader. The powder will fall to the ground as you pull it around with your riding mower.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm planning to lime my yard, but I can't seem to find a good way to spread it without breaking my back. Is there a better way to apply lime than bending over? Thanks

A heavy duty top dresser will do a good job, but you are not likely to find them at rental yards...
If you can find an 'older' heavy built 'Drop' fertilizer spreader, it may hold up to spreading lime, just do not fill it above 1/3 to 1/2 full... :smile:KennyV

Grasstrology

Threads
I guess I'll just look for a drop spreader on Craigslist instead since I'll probably use it for other things on my lawn

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm getting ready after the soil analysis says I need 1 ton added to my 1/3 acre. I have a Brinly spreader and wondered if the pellet style will pass thru. Also midwest sources sell lime for a lot less than my local "friendly" store who gets $7. 50 for a 50 lb bag. Comments, pls. :confused2:

bkeller500

Threads
I'm getting ready after the soil analysis says I need 1 ton added to my 1/3 acre. I have a Brinly spreader and wondered if the pellet style will pass thru. Also midwest sources sell lime for a lot less than my local "friendly" store who gets $7. 50 for a 50 lb bag. Comments, pls. :confused2:

Farm & fleet 40 pound pelletized lime $ 4.49
Farm & fleet 50 pound pulverized barn lime $ 1.79

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
bkeller, Yep saw ,that price difference. And saw dumptruck loads going down on agricultural land. Acid loving weeds kill us here.