Coil Issue with Tecumseh Engine

bmcdonau

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a yardman shredder with a damaged spark plug wire. The wire is molded into the coil so I had to replace the entire unit. It was pretty simple, I went to the Tecumseh website and looked up the correct coil, 35135A, and ordered it, but received a 35135B. I installed the unit anyway and it doesn't work--no spark. Is the B unit a suitable coil for this engine?

thanks

Dennis

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a yardman shredder with a damaged spark plug wire. The wire is molded into the coil so I had to replace the entire unit. It was pretty simple, I went to the Tecumseh website and looked up the correct coil, 35135A, and ordered it, but received a 35135B. I installed the unit anyway and it doesn't work--no spark. Is the B unit a suitable coil for this engine?

thanks

Dennis

Test the old coil and the new coil with an Ohm meter and see how the results vary. I can't imagine why the new one wouldn't at least give you a spark. Do you know how the wire got damaged?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The B unit is the supersession for the A unit. Makes me think it may not be the coil at all. Unhook the wire to the kill switch and then see if you have spark. If you do then it is the kill switch or kill wire that is the problem. Could also be bad plug.

bmcdonau

Forum Newbie
Threads
Test the old coil and the new coil with an Ohm meter and see how the results vary. I can't imagine why the new one wouldn't at least give you a spark. Do you know how the wire got damaged?

I'll ohm thgem out, but where should I connect the meter? There are three terminals, one which connects to a green wire and two that don't connect to anything.

The sparkplug wire got damaged in what we call the "Fire" incident. I was shredding leaves and they got piled up next to the muffler and ignighted while I was raking up more leaves. Bu the time I turned around there was quite a conflagration. It melted the insulation on the wire, but I used it for ten years like that and decided to finally repair it. I thought it would be a simple part exchange.

bmcdonau

Forum Newbie
Threads
The B unit is the supersession for the A unit. Makes me think it may not be the coil at all. Unhook the wire to the kill switch and then see if you have spark. If you do then it is the kill switch or kill wire that is the problem. Could also be bad plug.

By kill switch I assume you are talking about the the green wire at the bottom of the throttle control? I pulled that off and it made no difference.

Last edited:

bmcdonau

Forum Newbie
Threads

The coils are essentially the same. The two leads that don't connect to anything are a short between each other on both coils. On the original coil, there is 268 ohms of resistance between each of the non connections to the green wire. On the new coil, there is 248 ohms of resistance to the green wire.

How far should the coil be from what I assume is the rotor? The holes are oblong and I can set it closer or farther away.

bmcdonau

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took the spark plug out and laid it down on top of the motor while I pulled the starter cord and didn't get a spark. I also grabbed it while pulling the cord and didn't get shocked. I'm assuming I should be able to get a spark like that right?

Harriet

Threads
Maybe it really does matter that you are trying to make this work with the B version instead of the A version like what you pulled out of your machine? If you put the A version in, and it doesn't work, then you would know for sure that it's something other than the plug, right?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
the setting is .0125 from the flywheel The coils are the same and can be used either way. Make sure there is no rust on the magnet area of the flywheel also.

bmcdonau

Forum Newbie
Threads
Maybe it really does matter that you are trying to make this work with the B version instead of the A version like what you pulled out of your machine? If you put the A version in, and it doesn't work, then you would know for sure that it's something other than the plug, right?

I've asked several people and they say the part nr. is the important part that the letterr just means its been updated to a new version so I don't think that's it.

I'm going to put the original coil back in and see if it will still fire.