Kohler 181s is starting very hard when its warmed up.

DaveTN

Threads
  • / Kohler 181s is starting very hard when its warmed up.
You said it was shooting a flame out the muffler at all times. Well to me that would indicate it running too lean. I had an old B&S 11 HP that was doing that and you could see a flame esp at night! It would get so hot you could see the valves going up and down through the muffler as it glowed! Might want to check your float level. I've had some trouble out of those old 60's and 70's side shaft cast iron Kohler's and found them to be either excellent, trouble-free workhorses, or temperamental troublemakers needing too much adjusting etc. Check the float level. Some of those old Kohlers have those odd looking brass inserts that sits right below the float and attach to where the fuel pickup tube joins the bowl. The bolt that holds the bowl on goes through it and holds it in place. Sometimes they get warped or twisted and will interfere with the float not letting it work properly. I've only seen these on the old Kohler cast iron side shaft engines. Even if you don't have that type engine, still sounds like it's running too lean. Hope this helps.

Cork

Forum Newbie
Threads
Retarded what it means is that the timing is too late, most engines are timed to degrees BTDC. only you (or the person who did it) will know what has been done to the kohler181s because it has been modified by you so we here can only give you limited help, so do one thing at a time and do the valves first.

Thanks for the help Engine Man, I have gotten past the flames issue now and am dealing with the "hard to start when warm" issue. I will be starting a new thread about it soon if I dont get it resolved.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the help Engine Man, I have gotten past the flames issue now and am dealing with the "hard to start when warm" issue. I will be starting a new thread about it soon if I dont get it resolved.

I can't see what you are going to gain by starting a new thread on this, you be better to work with the boys that are already helping you here.

You say that you are past the flames issue, well what was it, was it running too lean..? (look at post back) we need to know what you are doing to the engine, that way we know not to waste time telling you to do things that you have already done...! running a engine too lean will make it run hot, have you check the valves..?