G2 drive

lisamac

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I just found this sight and everybody seems very friendly! I'll get to the point, I brought and new Grasshopper the spring of 2004 it is a 722D with the powerfold deck and a snow thower. I loved it, but once it had 88 hours on it I lost the right side pulley. They replaced it and the left also, but since then about every 40 hours it shredds a belt on the G2 drive. And last week while throwing snow the end of a spring broke for the idler pulley attached to the swing arm. Does anybody else have the same problems?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello & Welcome to the forum..
There are a few Grasshopper owners here that should be commenting soon...
I have been around them, but the thing that is common to belt failure is pulleys not lined up correctly. If any pulley is not in line with the others it will chew up the belt & the idler will be over worked...
You can check this out with a straight edge from the side of one pulley to the side of the next... :smile:KennyV

173abn

Threads
lisimac,looking at my manual which is for a 928d could your coupling hub be out of alignment to where it's throwing your belts off?also it says the spring coils should be extened to a length of 3" by adjusting the idler adjustment J-bolts.you should have two adjustable J bolts and one spring attached to them.if these are too tight might explain why your pullies are failing as they aren't greasable.also might explain the one broken spring.hope this helps,let us know. russ

lisamac

Forum Newbie
Threads
lisimac,looking at my manual which is for a 928d could your coupling hub be out of alignment to where it's throwing your belts off?also it says the spring coils should be extened to a length of 3" by adjusting the idler adjustment J-bolts.you should have two adjustable J bolts and one spring attached to them.if these are too tight might explain why your pullies are failing as they aren't greasable.also might explain the one broken spring.hope this helps,let us know. russ

Thanks for the infor. I will try to find the coupling hub on my manual, and also the J bolts were bought to my attention as well. Thanks again!!

173abn

Threads
lisamac,if your manual is like mine look at Gemini belt replacement.page 19 in mine then go to p.28 and look for item 45 which is the flex coupler and item 44 which is the coupling hub.I have a 928d so it may be different but if you have a manual for yours it should show it. let me know what you find. russ

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello, I have moved your post to the Grasshopper Forum. You will have better luck finding assistance there. :wink:

Thanks for joining LawnMowerForum!!!

lisamac

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I have moved your post to the Grasshopper Forum. You will have better luck finding assistance there. :wink:

Thanks for joining LawnMowerForum!!!

Thank You Briana!

lisamac

Forum Newbie
Threads
Russ they told me it was the oilite bearings for the upper idler arm and the ones at the back of the PTO shaft and clutch assembly(idler arm) were also bad. I'll let you know if I have any more trouble, Thanks.