Battery powered snowblower!

Wayne195

Threads
Take a look at the following link of the new Ariens Amp 24 battery snowblower:

Electric Snow Blower

Says it runs one hour one a singe charge; that would work great for someone with a small driveway
smile.gif
No gas involved! :thumbsup:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take a look at the following link of the new Ariens Amp 24 battery snowblower:

Electric Snow Blower

Says it runs one hour one a singe charge; that would work great for someone with a small driveway
smile.gif
No gas involved! :thumbsup:

WOW, thanks for sharing the story, I have a long driveway but an hour of running time is more than enough...I couldn't find anything in the link about the weight of the machine but I have a 5 hp 23 inch dual stage Craftsman that weighs about 160 pounds, most likely the weight of the engine on mine would be comparable to a battery or two on the Ariens and the weight of the electric motor would add maybe 35 pounds...say a 190-205 pound machine.

Lets see now, Grandpa walks into the showroom and spots it, he has an older pull type two-stage blower that he can barely pull over to get started, he spies the Ariens, loves the color, what's the first thing he asks the salesguy?

"Does this thing have ELECTRIC STARTING.....?" :laughing::laughing:

indypower

Threads
This thing costs $1700 and weighs 240 lbs. Battery pack cost $355. The motor is $610.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
SEVENTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS !! That's just SHOCKING !!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
This looks like a lot more machine than the corded electrics...
If you had a rather small residential drive I can see the advantage of this over a gasoline model.

I however prefer the diesel powered ZTR with a heated cab... But I am doing a lot more drive...
:smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
This thing costs $1700 and weighs 240 lbs. Battery pack cost $355. The motor is $610.

:eek:That seems like a lot of money if you only have a short drive to deal with. If you don't have that much area, why not just use a shovel?

Maybe I don't get it because I live in the South.:smile:

Wayne195

Threads
:eek:That seems like a lot of money if you only have a short drive to deal with. If you don't have that much area, why not just use a shovel?

Maybe I don't get it because I live in the South.:smile:
I agree with you that it is a bit of a joke, for most people anyway. After all, it can only run one hour on a single charge!:cool: May be good for small driveways, but not for me!:confused2:

indypower

Threads
The big problem with the electric "revolution" going on now is the batteries. Just look at the cars. Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf and such. Both have a range of about 40 miles on a charge. The AMP series from Ariens, both the snow blower and the riding mower, have a 1 hour use time. If companies want electric power to become more the norm, they will have to figure out a way to make a battery that will go longer on a charge and/or a motor that uses less power. Plus, they will have to reduce the price on the products. $40,000 for a car that can only go 40 miles on a charge, $1700 for a snow blower or mower that only runs for 1 hour on a charge.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The big problem with the electric "revolution" going on now is the batteries. Just look at the cars. Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf and such. Both have a range of about 40 miles on a charge. The AMP series from Ariens, both the snow blower and the riding mower, have a 1 hour use time. If companies want electric power to become more the norm, they will have to figure out a way to make a battery that will go longer on a charge and/or a motor that uses less power. Plus, they will have to reduce the price on the products. $40,000 for a car that can only go 40 miles on a charge, $1700 for a snow blower or mower that only runs for 1 hour on a charge.

Agree with you 100 percent...the electric products are revolutionary and a great idea, BUT how many of us can afford to buy them? THey make a big deal about electric power as a source, but the majority of the outlets that power such cars, mowers, etc. are getting the electricity for the plug in generated by burning coal, another fossil fuel. As much as I support the concept, for the majority of consumers such as myself, cars like the Volt are impractical. I would have one if somebody GAVE me a Volt, as I only drive 40 miles a week at most. Yet who can afford to buy a 40 grand car and only use it once or twice a week?

NOT ME. :thumbdown:

Wayne195

Threads
NOT ME. :thumbdown:
NOR ME:laughing:
I guess the electric revolution is supposed to reduce the need to depend on other nations for petroleom imports, but who wants to pay for a $1700 snowblower or a $40,000 Chevy volt? :eek: I must say, the Chevy Volt is certainly a great invention, but I won't have one till the price comes down!