Oil changing tip

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I posted this in the JD forum here, thought I would share the idea with others, My tractor has a close fitting mower deck and it's impossible to get any size drain pan under the block when changing the oil. I use a 40 inch long section of PVC rain gutter under the engine to direct the old oil out to the side into my drain pan after removing the plug. The same gutter works great when placed under the side mounted oil filter prior to removing it. You could use aluminum too, whatever you may have a section of.

Wayne195

Threads
Good tip, thanks! Thankfully my ZTR does not have the oil drain at such an inconvienient position, but I've just aquired a Case 444 tractor that will be a pain to drain the oil as soon as I get to it, because it has the oil drain just above the deck as you mentioned.:thumbdown:

173abn

Threads
hey JD ,i'll try that on my grasshopper,my yanmar isn't a problem. thanks. russ

de dee

Threads
I posted this in the JD forum here, thought I would share the idea with others, My tractor has a close fitting mower deck and it's impossible to get any size drain pan under the block when changing the oil. I use a 40 inch long section of PVC rain gutter under the engine to direct the old oil out to the side into my drain pan after removing the plug. The same gutter works great when placed under the side mounted oil filter prior to removing it. You could use aluminum too, whatever you may have a section of.

my PGT 9000 has a shut off valve on the oil drain and a short pipe on the end, that I put a length of tubing on it to drain the oil ,. into the pan,. and I drain the oil hot the best setup Ive seen for awhile,.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good tip, thanks! Thankfully my ZTR does not have the oil drain at such an inconvienient position, but I've just aquired a Case 444 tractor that will be a pain to drain the oil as soon as I get to it, because it has the oil drain just above the deck as you mentioned.:thumbdown:
No problem draining engine oil from the Kohler in your Case 444 providing it still has the Case drain fitting. The deck is a long way below.
Oil withdrawal systems work great by sucking out the oil thru a tube inserted into the dipstick tube.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Threads
No problem draining engine oil from the Kohler in your Case 444 providing it still has the Case drain fitting. The deck is a long way below.
Oil withdrawal systems work great by sucking out the oil thru a tube inserted into the dipstick tube.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Great tip.:thumbsup:.. I have been thinking about using some machine pipe to extend mine out over the frame.