Clogging Deck

Outdoor Environments

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been told that you can spray a non-stick cooking spray on the under side of mower deck coating it all over and it will prevent grass from sticking to the under side of deck. But they say you have to spray it on when the deck is dry before any mowing. I have not tried this so do not know if it actually works. I doubt it will prevent the grass from clumping up and falling onto lawn however. I live in the upper corner of SC and we had one of the rainiest summer in history with over 50+ inches so you can imagine how the fast the grass grew. On some properties we would cut the grass and let it fall and lay for a bit to dry out some while we did other chores on the property such as prune, weedeat,etc; then go back over it to vacum with our Walkers. Takes a little extra time but sure beats raking.

Brandon04

Forum Newbie
Threads
New guy to the forums here but this was one of the reasons I joined. I thought I was the only one having problems with this and I am glad to see I am not.
My attempts to correct the issue were new blades from the dealer, cutting grass in the late afternoon/early evening a couple days after a rain, taking no more then 1/3 off and still having it bog down/stall/clump and make bad noises as it tries to clear itself I found that removing the side discharge chute helped me tremendously.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have been told that you can spray a non-stick cooking spray on the under side of mower deck coating it all over and it will prevent grass from sticking to the under side of deck. But they say you have to spray it on when the deck is dry before any mowing. I have not tried this so do not know if it actually works. I doubt it will prevent the grass from clumping up and falling onto lawn however. I live in the upper corner of SC and we had one of the rainiest summer in history with over 50+ inches so you can imagine how the fast the grass grew. On some properties we would cut the grass and let it fall and lay for a bit to dry out some while we did other chores on the property such as prune, weedeat,etc; then go back over it to vacum with our Walkers. Takes a little extra time but sure beats raking.

Spraying Pam cooking spray is an urban legend. I even tried a product called Zeplon, which is a teflon-based "dry lubricant". This was on the 54" deck of a brand new Craftsman lawn tractor that hadn't been used yet. No joy:0(
Aside from painting the underbelly of a brand new deck with Emron(airplane paint....which is a Hazmat and needs specific paint equipment) there's nothing aside from the recommendations on making sure grass is good and dry(no rain in last 48 hrs and mow late on a nice sunny day), never cutting more than 1/3 total height and maybe some mulching or Gator blades that will help this problem. I put a mulch kit on my Gravely and this seemed to help as well. Very little buildup when I'm done mowing and takes < 5 mins. with a garden hose to rinse it off from underneath.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
What I do is let a layer of grass stay on the deck until it drys out and gets hard. Solves two things. No more grass sticking to the deck and no rust.