Clogging Deck

Thuisman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have tried both mulching and bagging and the grass keeps building on the under side of the deck. It gets bad enough that it will fall off the deck and about stall out the mower (grass falls from under side of deck and hits the blades). At times, it gets bad enough that I have to lift the deck and let the grass fall out before I can continue (while mulching). When bagging, it happens often and I end up leaving clumps of grass (not bagged) on the ground throughout the lawn.
I have not tried changing blades as my local dealer tells me I am using the correct blades. This will happen at times when the grass is dry and its 80 outside and happens more often with due on the ground and its 65. I mow twice a week so the grass is not too tall (4 days att he most between mowings).
Any help would be appreciated. Pretty irritating to dump $9k and still have issues.

Tharin

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to these Forums....
The Easiest thing you can do to try for a better result... Change the blades, Don't know what type you are running now But I would definitely try something radically different. :smile:KennyV

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have tried both mulching and bagging and the grass keeps building on the under side of the deck. It gets bad enough that it will fall off the deck and about stall out the mower (grass falls from under side of deck and hits the blades). At times, it gets bad enough that I have to lift the deck and let the grass fall out before I can continue (while mulching). When bagging, it happens often and I end up leaving clumps of grass (not bagged) on the ground throughout the lawn.
I have not tried changing blades as my local dealer tells me I am using the correct blades. This will happen at times when the grass is dry and its 80 outside and happens more often with due on the ground and its 65. I mow twice a week so the grass is not too tall (4 days att he most between mowings).
Any help would be appreciated. Pretty irritating to dump $9k and still have issues.

Tharin

It could be any number of things or a combination of things, Mowing speed could be to fast, removing to much grass at one time, dull blades. I know you said the dealer says you're using the correct blades but changing to another type could make a big difference. If your trying to discharge or bag I would think you would want to use high lift blades, if you're trying to mulch and cut your grass finer Gator Blades are a good choice.
Another thing is the fact you never cut dry grass at any time as its consistency is like 70 to 80% water to start with so you'll always have a certain amount of moisture under the deck and mowing early in the morning with the due still on the ground will only compound the problem. If the grass is clumping the first thing I would try is to slow your speed down and let the mower do its job because it sounds like your accumulating to much grass under the deck and it's losing it capability or can't discharge the grass properly.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am going to say your mowing to fast
And go with the high lift blades.

Also if your cutting as low as the mower will you will not get enough air under the deck.
Raise the deck up a half inch and see if that helps.

There is no need to keep grass under 2 inches it just looks bad.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

Tharin

Yep the advice you have received from the previous 3 user responses pretty well covers it all. A "single type" blade definitely won't perform well bagging AND mulching. And as pointed out, when mulching you MUST slow down a bit for the clippings to be pushed back down into the cut grass remaining...and you really should have a "mulching style" blade as mentioned). Also, the "unspoken rule" for mulching is the 1/3 rule.....never cut more than one-third of the total height of the grass(i.e. if the grass is 3" tall, set the deck at 2" therefore cutting only 1" of the total height...or 1/3). Making sure there has been no significant rain in the previous 24-48 hours won't hurt your results either!!

Thuisman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies all.
A couple clarifications---It was mentioned in a couple posts to not cut too much grass at a time. I don't think that I am. As I mentioned, I mow twice a week (the most time between mowings is 4 days). I do live in the pacific northwest (60 miles west of Seattle WA). That said, we have had one of our driest/warmest on record.
As for deck heighth, I am set pretty high. I only have one notch to go higher. I don't think speed is an issue either as I am going pretty slow.
Blades00definately sounds like that could be my issue. I will change them and see what happens.

Tharin

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the replies all. A couple clarifications---It was mentioned in a couple posts to not cut too much grass at a time. I don't think that I am. As I mentioned, I mow twice a week (the most time between mowings is 4 days). I do live in the pacific northwest (60 miles west of Seattle WA). That said, we have had one of our driest/warmest on record. As for deck heighth, I am set pretty high. I only have one notch to go higher. I don't think speed is an issue either as I am going pretty slow. Blades00definately sounds like that could be my issue. I will change them and see what happens. Tharin
l

Looks like blades is the only thing left.
Let us know how it works out

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the replies all.
A couple clarifications---It was mentioned in a couple posts to not cut too much grass at a time. I don't think that I am. As I mentioned, I mow twice a week (the most time between mowings is 4 days). I do live in the pacific northwest (60 miles west of Seattle WA). That said, we have had one of our driest/warmest on record.
As for deck heighth, I am set pretty high. I only have one notch to go higher. I don't think speed is an issue either as I am going pretty slow.
Blades00definately sounds like that could be my issue. I will change them and see what happens.

Tharin

Are we talking about the Hustler Fastrak you have listed just for clarification, and what size deck?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are we talking about the Hustler Fastrak you have listed just for clarification, and what size deck?

Ya know, it does seem like I have read other comments in threads by Hustler owners that the FasTrak deck was prone to "clogging"(don't know whether it's deck-size oriented or whether they have exactly the same deck style as the FasTrak Super Duty, which I've not read any reports of that problem).

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ya know, it does seem like I have read other comments in threads by Hustler owners that the FasTrak deck was prone to "clogging"(don't know whether it's deck-size oriented or whether they have exactly the same deck style as the FasTrak Super Duty, which I've not read any reports of that problem).

I was wondering the same thing, seems like I've read on some other comments forums about people having problems also, that's why I asked for clarification, and what size deck he was using and I also would like to know how old a unit it is. Some of the older models were only running in and around 15000 FPM blade tip speed. The new ones are 18 to 18600 Fpm BTS and shouldn't have problems with clogging up.