Clogging Deck

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

Thanks, lmf...you got er dun!!! I think my problem may have been related to me not "naming the jpg files" like you mentioned in your message to me. Anyhow, user PVhlll will benefit from that link you gave(I was in a hurry to get outside and mow the yard, got frustrated and forgot about those instructions). Hopefully, there are a couple of users who have reported some problems with mulch kits and I can direct them to the pictures of the Gravely kit which I consider a "model" for a good kit(heavy gauge, fully encloses the blades and extends to the bottom of the deck edge). If their kit isn't similar in design(and just consists of a discharge chute cover) most likely they cannot expect the same results that I am getting. Again....thanks for taking care of the mess I made with my pics!!!!!

Tom59

Threads
Decks are IDENTICAL as far as fabrication. Only difference is the pulleys on the SD are metal and SD has high lift blades stock.

I'm confused? My deck doesn't clog. High lift blades for mulching? I have no clue....

I bought a second set of blades -high lift - fusion blades. But I haven't even tried them yet. Next spring probably. My deck looks clean underneath but I never mow wet grass. Pacific NW you probably need an umbrella and snorkle to mow. :smile:

Again my deck isn't a mulch deck and my deck with regular lift blades doesn't clog. I mow at 2/3 throttle tops. 1/2 throttle is fine. Just depends on what time of year here grass is thinner in the late summer than spring , spring grass is thicker and requires more throttle.

I don't have a bagger either....

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm confused? My deck doesn't clog. High lift blades for mulching? I have no clue....

I bought a second set of blades -high lift - fusion blades. But I haven't even tried them yet. Next spring probably. My deck looks clean underneath but I never mow wet grass. Pacific NW you probably need an umbrella and snorkle to mow. :smile:

Again my deck isn't a mulch deck and my deck with regular lift blades doesn't clog. I mow at 2/3 throttle tops. 1/2 throttle is fine. Just depends on what time of year here grass is thinner in the late summer than spring , spring grass is thicker and requires more throttle.

I don't have a bagger either....

Really......I've never heard of anyone "mowing" at 1/2 or 2/3 throttle and I thought this was not recommended in regard to cut quality(and possibly adverse effect on the trannies). I'm no expert, but have read this advice on these forums. Of course....if it's working for you and your Hustler owner's manual doesn't warn against it I "guess" it's OK.

Tom59

Threads
Really......I've never heard of anyone "mowing" at 1/2 or 2/3 throttle and I thought this was not recommended in regard to cut quality(and possibly adverse effect on the trannies). I'm no expert, but have read this advice on these forums. Of course....if it's working for you and your Hustler owner's manual doesn't warn against it I "guess" it's OK.

You engage your blades at about 3/4 throttle then back it down a little.....my dealer told me he mows at half throttle. My blades are spinning plenty fast enough. Full throttle is ridiculous on my machine.

It is ok. The only issue is blade engagement and the blade clutch spinning fast enough when you engage blades.
You also need to throttle down to disengage them. Trannies , not so much. They are always engaged w/hydraulic fluid. I drive my machine into the out building at idle. Never worried before. You are confusing the clutch for the blades w/ tranny operation, I hope.

I'll take my lawns cut anyday , everyday. Full throttle is just wasting gas for me. Maybe If I were mowing a hay field. :smile:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
You engage your blades at about 3/4 throttle then back it down a little.....my dealer told me he mows at half throttle. My blades are spinning plenty fast enough. Full throttle is ridiculous on my machine.

It is ok. The only issue is blade engagement and the blade clutch spinning fast enough when you engage blades.
You also need to throttle down to disengage them. Trannies , not so much. They are always engaged w/hydraulic fluid. I drive my machine into the out building at idle. Never worried before. You are confusing the clutch for the blades w/ tranny operation, I hope.

I'll take my lawns cut anyday , everyday. Full throttle is just wasting gas for me. Maybe If I were mowing a hay field. :smile:

Yeah, I was aware of the "throttle down" to no more than 3/4 throttle to engage/dis-engage the PTO. I just never heard of "mowing" at that speed. I may have to try that with my Gravely(it has the Kawasaki FX691V engine and 18,000 fpm blade tip speed) to see if I can save a little gas money after I retire. But I would probably need to remove the mulch kit I just installed as I doubt it would work properly at the reduced blade tip speed.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Most mowers are engaged at full throttle. There's always been a debate on which is best for the clutch. I was told by the dealer to engaging at half or three quarters throttle put to much stress or load on the engine and clutch. If he checks the manual he will find the proper way that hustler says to do for his machine and I think he will find it say to engage at 2/3rds throttle or better to prevent load and after the blades are in engaged to advance the engine throttle to full RPM to mow. Actually he will probably use more gas mowing at 2/3rds throttle than he would at full because the engine is actually working harder.

.....Use high blade speed. Your mower is designed to operate at full throttle. The throttle setting directly controls blade speed. The highest blade speed generally gives the best cut..... That comes from the hustler manual.

rmancini

Threads
Welcome to the forum.

You live up in the rain shadow. Here in S. Kitsap, we get a bunch more rain that you do so the lawns are wetter and the clippings are heavier.
The only way I can mow mine without the problems you described is to cut higher. In the spring, it necessitates cutting more frequently but when it rains almost every day, it's the only way.
I suppose it's one of the drawbacks of living in the PacNorWest.
Cheers.
Rich

PVHIII

Threads
Thanks, lmf...you got er dun!!! I think my problem may have been related to me not "naming the jpg files" like you mentioned in your message to me. Anyhow, user PVhlll will benefit from that link you gave(I was in a hurry to get outside and mow the yard, got frustrated and forgot about those instructions). Hopefully, there are a couple of users who have reported some problems with mulch kits and I can direct them to the pictures of the Gravely kit which I consider a "model" for a good kit(heavy gauge, fully encloses the blades and extends to the bottom of the deck edge). If their kit isn't similar in design(and just consists of a discharge chute cover) most likely they cannot expect the same results that I am getting. Again....thanks for taking care of the mess I made with my pics!!!!!

Actually I jacked around with it until I figured it out and I've posted several pics in my profile since

bill1631

Threads
Hi,
Is your lawn mower running at top RPM? Are the belt(s) worn out? A slipping drive system (belt) will slow down the blades and allow the grass to ball up even though the engine keeps running at top RPM. Check the belt adjustment, check the drive system for slippage. A dull blade will still allow the grass to be disbursed and not ball up. I really suspect slippage somewhere between the engine and the blades. Are you your mowing the grass when it's wet? Hope not. Check the belts width and make sure it/they is as wide as a new one. If the belt(s) is worn out, check for rust on the pulleys. If you have rust on the pulley shoulders, you will wear out a belt fast and that half inch wide belt will soon be 3/8" or less. I carefully sanded my pulley shoulders while the mower was running, pulleys and blades turning (you can remove the blades for safety). Notice I said carefully!! Get adhesive backed sandpaper and stick it on a paint stirrer stick or something similar that will break if caught in the pulleys. (NOT YOUR FINGERS!!) Sand the rusty pulley shoulders smooth, remove the belt(s) and spray paint the pulleys with rust-oleum before installing a new belt(s). Pulley shoulders should feel very smooth to the touch at this point or add another coat or two of paint. Hope this helps and Lottsa luck with your problem.
Bill - Sold my Hustler 440 60" and went to a Country Clipper Boss 60". Love my Country Clipper with Joy Stick control.

gatorblade

Threads
I have a 02 Hustler Z 60 in. 23hp Kawasaki. Gatorblades helped, but the bottom line for me was not enough hp. for the deck size. I talked to my sales person, he said improvments have been made on the deck and more hp is available. Also the 1250lb. weight makes it tough to mow our bottom land in the spring. I test drove Bob Cat, and D.Chopper. What ever I bought was going to be made in the U.S. I could have gotten by with a smaller deck, less scalps on the dips n doodles and the hp might have been ok. We mow 3+acres and oh the Sycamore leaves! Dick