Clogging Deck

Thuisman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was wondering the same thing, seems like I've read on some other comments forums about people having problems also, that's why I asked for clarification, and what size deck he was using and I also would like to know how old a unit it is. Some of the older models were only running in and around 15000 FPM blade tip speed. The new ones are 18 to 18600 Fpm BTS and shouldn't have problems with clogging up.

Tbe unit new.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ya know, it does seem like I have read other comments in threads by Hustler owners that the FasTrak deck was prone to "clogging"(don't know whether it's deck-size oriented or whether they have exactly the same deck style as the FasTrak Super Duty, which I've not read any reports of that problem).

I tried to do a side-by-side comparison of the decks on the Fastrak and the Fastrak SD(all I could find on my local Hustler dealers site were 54" models), but they both appear to be 11gauge and hav the same "Specs", although under "Features" they are described differently. Here's what I found:

Fastrak:
Features-Productive 54 mowing deck
Specs-Deck(Type) Free-floating deck using three blades with center blade to the front. Deck is suspended at the corners. Includes 4 deck-mounted rollers to improve flotation in rolling and uneven terrain.
(Construction) 11 ga, .120 in (.30cm) welded steel with 11 ga, .120 in (.30cm) doubler welded onto spindle mount areas. Solid 1 in x .375 (2.55 cm x .95 cm) steel bars reinforce impact areas on trim edges. Commercial-style box-section reinforced front edge.

Fastrak Super Duty:
Features-Commercial welded steel deck
Specs-Deck(Type) Free-floating deck using three blades with center blade to the front. Deck is suspended at the corners. Includes 4 deck-mounted rollers to improve flotation in rolling and uneven terrain
(Construction) 11 ga, .120 (.30 cm) welded steel with 11 ga, .120 in (.30 cm) doubler welded onto spindle mount areas. Solid 1 in x .375 (2.55 cm x .95 cm) steel bars reinforce impact areas on trim edges. Commercial-style box-section reinforced front edge.

They both show a spec of 18,910 blade tip speed. Can't really discern a lot of difference using the Hustler info.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
It has a 48" deck. I currently have the bagging system on it.

Tharin

Does the deck have a mulch kit(baffles), in addition to the cover for the discharge chute, that you remove when you attach the bagger?? When you are bagging, do you install low-lift or hi-lift blades and then when mulching install mulch blades. If you have a "mulch kit" installed, maybe try Oregon Gator blades(see below for a link to the OEM listing for Oregon blades). I think they show a standard lift, a G5 Gator and a G6 Gator for your Fastrak.

http://www.oregonproducts.com/pdfs/OREGON_BladesByOEM.pdf

Tom59

Threads
Decks are IDENTICAL as far as fabrication. Only difference is the pulleys on the SD are metal and SD has high lift blades stock.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Decks are IDENTICAL as far as fabrication. Only difference is the pulleys on the SD are metal and SD has high lift blades stock.

Sooooo.....maybe the OP needs to try some OEM hi-lift blades, right?

P.S.
I'm gonna try to attach some pics of my Gravely deck "before installing the mulch kit" and "after installing the mulch kit" so the OP can compare to what the "mulch kit" installed on his ZTR looks like in comparison(design-wise). If I can just get the attachments to cooperate:0) BTW, you can see in the pictures that this kit completely encloses each blade with a baffle that extends down as for as the outside edge of the deck and is constructed of the same 7gauge steel. It does a FANTASTIC job mulching!!!

B4:DSC03597.jpg DSC03598.jpg DSC03599.jpg DSC03600.jpg

After:DSC03601.jpg DSC03602.jpg DSC03603.jpg DSC03604.jpg DSC03605.jpg DSC03606.jpg DSC03607.jpg DSC03608.jpg

I apparently cannot remember user lawn mower fanatic's instructions on inserting pictures as it is a MESS and I can't even get the final pics of "After" to attach(and editing my post doesn't seem to help). Don't know how the "B4" pics also got attached as "Thumbnails". I guess me using Windows 7 as a virtual machine inside my iMac may contribute to my difficulties. Maybe since user lmf has administrative rights if he happens upon my post in this thread he can get my attached photos(B4=3597-3600) and (After=3601-3608) straightened out in this post(I'll keep trying but I really need to get outside and "mow my lawn:0)

---
***Hey DJ: I fixed your attachments! :)
-lawn mower fanatic

Last edited by a moderator:

PVHIII

Threads
I have tried both mulching and bagging and the grass keeps building on the under side of the deck. It gets bad enough that it will fall off the deck and about stall out the mower (grass falls from under side of deck and hits the blades). At times, it gets bad enough that I have to lift the deck and let the grass fall out before I can continue (while mulching). When bagging, it happens often and I end up leaving clumps of grass (not bagged) on the ground throughout the lawn.
I have not tried changing blades as my local dealer tells me I am using the correct blades. This will happen at times when the grass is dry and its 80 outside and happens more often with due on the ground and its 65. I mow twice a week so the grass is not too tall (4 days att he most between mowings).
Any help would be appreciated. Pretty irritating to dump $9k and still have issues.

Tharin

I have a Fastrak SD 48" I've only got 8hrs on it..but I haven't had any clogging issues... I do have high lift blades on it

PVHIII

Threads
Sooooo.....maybe the OP needs to try some OEM hi-lift blades, right?

P.S.
I'm gonna try to attach some pics of my Gravely deck "before installing the mulch kit" and "after installing the mulch kit" so the OP can compare to what the "mulch kit" installed on his ZTR looks like in comparison(design-wise). If I can just get the attachments to cooperate:0) BTW, you can see in the pictures that this kit completely encloses each blade with a baffle that extends down as for as the outside edge of the deck and is constructed of the same 7gauge steel. It does a FANTASTIC job mulching!!!

B4:View attachment 17410View attachment 17411View attachment 17412

After:View attachment 17413View attachment 17414View attachment 17415View attachment 17416View attachment 17417

I apparently cannot remember user lawn mower fanatic's instructions on inserting pictures as it is a MESS and I can't even get the final pics of "After" to attach(and editing my post doesn't seem to help). Don't know how the "B4" pics also got attached as "Thumbnails". I guess me using Windows 7 as a virtual machine inside my iMac may contribute to my difficulties. Maybe since user lmf has administrative rights if he happens upon my post in this thread he can get my attached photos(B4=3597-3600) and (After=3601-3608) straightened out in this post(I'll keep trying but I really need to get outside and "mow my lawn:0)

I give up:0(
I ended up "losing" the first "B4" pic by trying to delete the attachment(#attachment#17409, photo#DSC03597). The "insert image" screen just seems to show the "top 8 pics" and has a "scroll up"....but no "scroll down" so I cannot get to pics DSC3606-3608(final Afters)...OR to the "re-inserted" pic#3597(first B4).........HELP admins!!!!!:0)
....I'm having problems posting pics in my album as well...guess I don't have the forum completely figured out lol