Kohler or Briggs and Strattion

Wayne195

Threads
I definantly rate Kohler over B & S, but Briggs and Stratton engines can be fine if they're maintained properly.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
To 173abn, $529 with the B&S, $559 with the Kohler. The spec are identical except for the engines; Kohler mower is heavier, mentions the cast iron cylinder and forged crank and the Kohler is 7 lb-ft NET, not GROSS torque. Same wash out port, same self-propelled ground speed, same 5 year warrenty, same 5 coupons for a free blade sharpening ... Sometimes just posting something and going back and reading it makes the decision for me. Unless something really bad happens to Kohler in the next month, when I get my tax refund I'm getting the Toro Super Recycler with the Kohler engine and never looking back.

Thanks to all for putting up with me thinking out loud on this forum and thank you for your opinions.

I was just thinking the other day how common the Teks and Briggs are so it's easy to find maintenance parts for them, not sure if that is true for Kohlers. But about all I have ever had to replace on any of my small engines are filters, plugs, gas hoses, starter ropes, etc. Most of those have to be pretty generic items.

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
The outdoor power equipment store I'm looking at used to be able to get any parts I needed for my pre-MTD Troy-Bilt tiller and was able to repair a bunch of items after a fire in my garage. As a selling and servicing Toro dealer I'm sure they can get me parts. Really, with the warranty all I should need for 5 years is air filter, gas filter, spark plugs and 10W-30 service SJ detergent oil - as you said pretty generic.

2810guy

Threads
I've had a lot of small engines and they were always B&S. I bought a miller bobcat welder/generator and it had a kohler 16 hp on it. I was sold on Kohler from that time. My new Skaq ZTM has a kohler 25 hp and runs 10-12 hours at a time nice power responce. My opinion Kohler all the way! . . .John :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jenkinsph

Threads
I've had a lot of small engines and they were always B&S. I bought a miller bobcat welder/generator and it had a kohler 16 hp on it. I was sold on Kohler from that time. My new Skaq ZTM has a kohler 25 hp and runs 10-12 hours at a time nice power responce. My opinion Kohler all the way! . . .John :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have a Miller Trailblazer with a 20 hp Onan about 12 years old now and runs great. BUT! I have heard that parts may be difficult to obtain for serious repairs and retrofitting another brand is also difficult. Mine doesn't get alot of use but I am a little wary of it.