Used John Deere LT160 Price???

DaveR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not really mower season but I found a used LT160 in the local paper. Not sure on the hours yet but it's got the 38 inch deck and they are asking $800. Anybody have one of these?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think you could expect to find it for $600 to $1000.
The 42 inch deck also available, is more common.

Assuming that the engine sounds good and the drive seems solid, I would check the front suspension/steering and rear axle bushings for excessive wear... Lift the front and check the bushings without a load, do the same at the rear. You might also check the deck spindle bearings...
Price seems about average... check it close... this is the time of year to find good prices on tractor type mowers.
:smile:KennyV

DaveR

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took a look at it today and for starters the battery was dead. Kind of surprised me that the seller did not even charge the battery. He got his jump box out and it did start after that and a LOT of cranking, maybe about 2-3 minutes with several attempts. I suspect it had been sitting in the cold garage for months. After it warmed up it seemed to run ok. I told the seller I would get back to him. The way I figure it will probably start right up for the next guy. Might keep looking.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
I wouldn't necessarily be completely put off by the fact that it took a while to start. I remember my old JD would take several minutes of cranking the first time I tried to start it after the winter. You might have an opportunity to pick up a good deal here.

You can check values on craigslist and sometimes tractor house or ELS has mowers.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Dave, Muhammad is right...
Carburetor engines do not necessarily fire right up after setting a long while...
Fresh fuel in it and it most likely will work like you expect...
I would also give it another look. :smile:KennyV

mac

Threads
This time of the year, I would offerhim $600.00 and no more.

Wayne195

Threads
This time of the year, I would offerhim $600.00 and no more.
That's about my guess; I have a LT166, which is almost the same only stightly larger. I bought mine for $650:thumbsup:

jenkinsph

Threads
I just visited the Tractordata and Deere sites to size the LT160 up and agree with the $600 offer. This mower is from 7 to 11 years old.