Gas vs electric?

AaronK

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm in the market for a new lawnmower. I'm considering a battery powered electric mower but I'm concerned that it won't be powerful enough for the tall grass that often grows in my backyard. My yard is about a quarter of an acre. There are couple Black & Decker mowers that Consumer Reports has recommended but they also mentioned that they may not be powerful enough. And I am sure that one battery charge will not be enough to do the whole yard as I borrowed a neighbors Ryobi and it required three charges to do the whole thing. Your forums website mentions that electric mowers are only slightly better than gas powered mowers in terms of being "green". Is it worth it?

Threads
Whether it's worth it is a personal preference. Electric mowers might be a bit under-powered for your needs, but if you don't like pouring gas or dealing with the maintenance of a gas mower an electric mower might be your best bet. But gas mowers might give you better features, like blade brake clutch, etc.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've used corded electric mowers it takes forever its underpowered and can get frustrating. I've read about cordless and they work but I often read about batteries not able to do the mow in one charge. Personally I would like to just get my yard done and not commit an entire day to charging and mowing my lawn.

A gas mower might be more hassle maintenance wise, there is probably a shop or neighbor near by that will do it for you... a gas mower has plenty of power and you can go and get your lawn done without the day long commitment.

AaronK

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the advice Exotion and Lawn Mower Fanatic. I'm leaning towards gas and thinking of the Honda HRR2169VLA which was rated very highly by Consumer Reports.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the advice Exotion and Lawn Mower Fanatic. I'm leaning towards gas and thinking of the Honda HRR2169VLA which was rated very highly by Consumer Reports.

Its a good machine I use the previous version commercially. Only thing I recommend is replace the quadra cut system with the micro cut system

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm in the market for a new lawnmower. I'm considering a battery powered electric mower but I'm concerned that it won't be powerful enough for the tall grass that often grows in my backyard. My yard is about a quarter of an acre. There are couple Black & Decker mowers that Consumer Reports has recommended but they also mentioned that they may not be powerful enough. And I am sure that one battery charge will not be enough to do the whole yard as I borrowed a neighbors Ryobi and it required three charges to do the whole thing. Your forums website mentions that electric mowers are only slightly better than gas powered mowers in terms of being "green". Is it worth it?

I think your concerns are justified, when you start getting into taller grasses the battery powered electric mowers start laboring and the battery just doesn't last. You would be better off with a cheaper self propelled mower like a Toro.
17318-gas-vs-electric-t3910-gif

http://www.toro.com/en-us/homeowner...wers/pages/model.aspx?pid=20332-personal-pace

Threads

Its a good machine I use the previous version commercially. Only thing I recommend is replace the quadra cut system with the micro cut system

According to the Honda website, HRR's now come with the Microcut blades. Either Honda or Toro is a good choice. I like my Honda's. If you want to save $100 on a Honda mower you can get the HRR216VKA. It's the same as the VLA, just without the electric start. Just an option. :smile:

Honda Lawn Mowers: HRR216VKA, HRR216K8VKA

Honda Lawn Mowers: HRR216VLA, HRR216K8VLA

puspunta

Forum Newbie
Threads
I apologize, guys, I know that this topic is very old, but maybe my answer will help someone in the future
I grew up with a corded mower and never has any trouble with it. Simply plan your mowing so that you work away from the socket that the cord is plugged into and you seldom have to "flip" the cord out of the way. I have never run over or cut the cord. When we bought the house we are in now the last owner left us a gas mower https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-gas-lawn-mowers/ I was very happy when that post finally gave up and I could get an electric one again. I don't know about the battery powered ones, but I would think either you have to charge them a lot or give up power with them. But I could be wrong about that. Yesterday on YouTube I came across an interesting video, as I myself want to buy a new lawnmower but have some hesitations about brands. Look, I hope it helps.

Last edited: