Residential Wind Turbines

AndyMan

Threads
Anyone know anything about residential wind turbines? We've been approached about putting one on our property - a 5 KW turbine which should generate enough for our use plus extra which would go into the grid, and for which we would receive a check from the electric company. We would only use from the grid when there is not enough wind to drive the turbine.

Anyone with experience?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Back in the 80's I serviced several 8kW to 25kW... Started with an 8kW that belonged to a friend. Then after getting it back in service everyone all around was wanting theirs repaired... some were worth reworking... some were not.

They were then wood prop and that is the part that ultimately failed on all of them.

Synchronous wind generators are very practical... Don't go larger than you need thinking you will recoup $ from selling excess power. I did not see that happen even with the larger ones.

If there are tax credits to offset putting it up, and the prop is NOT wood... They are very simple and will last a long time.
Learn to do the necessary maintained yourself. And have the ability to lay it down to work on it.
I would think a 5 kW is about perfect... :smile:KennyV

AndyMan

Threads
There are state incentives (50%) plus federal credits (30%) which make it VERY affordable. Also an exemption from property tax increase for 15 years. They are making a big deal about selling back the excess, but if we could just break even it would pay for itself in less than 7 years.

Not sure about the material - we'll have to ask. What type of maintenance is usually involved? Is it something the basic homeowner could handle?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Having the ability to inspect/service the parts on the tower will be important.

The control system generally will have an anemometer... that will need at least an annual inspection, also the gear box and motor/generator...
The hub where the blades (sails) bolt on should be regularly checked...
If they are still using wood... They should be checked at least quarterly, after their 2nd or 3rd annual, depending on hourly operation...

If you have to pay someone to do that or to get back on line... you reduce the possibility to break even.
If you check with your local weather stations to see the wind velocity history, combine that with the operational perimeters of your system... you can arrive at a close duty cycle. That will give you the most information. DON'T rely only on the information provided by the folks selling it.
How long have they been in this particular business. How likely is it that they will still be in this particular type of business IF there is no longer tax incentives...

Wind generators are kind of fun to work on,:smile: there is not a lot that can go wrong... BUT it is not handy to get to the possible problem, so you have to be prepared to make it handy.
And like most mechanical equipment, you can prevent a lot of repairs by keeping current on your inspections.

The problems with making money selling power back:
You only have a surplus when you are in operation... (wind speed)
You buy power at retail, you sell it back at the LOWEST wholesale rate you utility pays.
Any time there is a problem, your system will be down until it is repaired... Most problems are minor, but you will be the closest person to solve these problems, you will need to be aware how everything in the system should work. :smile:KennyV

Do you have the specifications for the tower and the specs on the instillation?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Regarding any unit that you consider, you should get an independent appraisal of how noisy it will be. I have no experience but I heard that the biggest complaint is noise.

It seems like a potentially enjoyable project. In my area the wind isn't consistent enough but I think I might try it if it was practical.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I heard that the biggest complaint is noise.

In my area the wind isn't consistent enough but I think I might try it if it was practical.

Too many people think that the noise is while they are operating...
It is when they Start & when they Stop. While they are operating they are fairly quiet...
Starting will be very noticeable and Stopping can be very loud at times...
During the times that the wind is almost enough but not quite steady for long lengths of time...
It will 'short cycle' and become both annoying and expensive to operate. Every time it starts there is a huge rush of power from the grid to fire it up.
You can program start and stop delays and you will have to figure what works best for your location...:smile:KennyV

Willyvon

Threads
Have you considered a vertical axis turbine?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
When I looked into getting one it was 20,000 dollars to install it and then there was a 150 dollar yearly maintenance fee. I just can't see where it would pay for its self in my life time?? Maybe if you are a lot younger then me but I can see over twenty + years to pay for it's self then what if it needs replaceing after that time?