Electric pto clutch

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Going to put a mower together this weekend. For my first time I am going to use a electric pto clutch.

So looking to see who everyone things makes the best one. Toughest and last longest.

Is it best to engage the pto at full throttle or at a idle?

Going on a 48 inch deck and a 24 hp Briggs

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

briggs

Threads
Going to put a mower together this weekend. For my first time I am going to use a electric pto clutch.

So looking to see who everyone things makes the best one. Toughest and last longest.

Is it best to engage the pto at full throttle or at a idle?

Going on a 48 inch deck and a 24 hp Briggs

i turn mine on at half then i open it up

LoCo86

Threads
I have a Parker clutch on my Exmark mowers and they have held up for over 10 years. As far as blade engagement, the mechanic at Toro told me to always engage at full throttle. He also reaffirmed his statement with the users manual.

LoCo86

Threads
Sorry meant to say Warner clutch.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Gravely has an Ogura GT 2.5 clutch and I engage(and disengage) at between 1/2 & 3/4 throttle. I seem to recall a discussion of this in another thread where a user(knowledgeable about PTO clutches) recommended NOT engaging at full throttle for technical longevity reasons. If user Lawn Mower Fanatic happens upon this thread he can probably point us to the thread containing that conversation(I have yet to master the search function on these forums).

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you replacing an electric clutch or installing one where had been a manual clutch?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you replacing an electric clutch or installing one where had been a manual clutch?

I have a mower was a manual.
The deck I am using came off of one with a electric.
I can still use it as a manual but want to start using a electric pto.

Have never used one before so want some info on what people like yourself that know about them think is the best ones to use.

From what I have been told I should go with a adjustable one.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I strongly recommend that you NOT convert your machine from a manual clutch to an electric clutch.
A conversion of this nature involves many considerations some of which are engine charging system output, engine crankshaft size, transmission drive pulley location, relocating pulleys, belt tensioners, electrical system, PTO switch location, safety of operation, choosing a suitable clutch from the 300 or so available, sizing of V belts, the list goes on!!!
You could easily spend more than the machine is worth if it is was fully operational before you started.
Just some thoughts!!
Mad Mackie in CT

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
So I went with a Warner 5218-5

My thinking was bobcat and ex mark uses them so they must be good.

Started the mower the blades engaged first flip of the switch. I went right for the two foot tall grass did awesome no belt slipping.