Where are the safety switches

larbec7

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman 24 hsp rider Model 917.288700. I can not get it to run. I can jump it out and it will run. Can someone tell me where the safety switxhes are loctaed so I can jump them out to see which one is bad. Also, if you have a drawing or any info on them I would appreciate it. For example....you have one under the sat.....ok....where under the seat? What does it look like? What is the voltage? Where abouts under the seat?

Thanks in advance

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
There should be one on the tranny for a neutral safety (on the top/side of it), there should be one under the seat (right in the middle of it), there should be one under the clutch/brake pedal (on the pivoting rod underneath the mower), and one on the PTO lever [if equipped as such] (usually by the base of the steering column). Where are they exactly? Follow the wires........they'll lead you right to them. If there's a switch anywhere near where I described, chances are, that's it.

A lot of interlock switches will 'run' if just unplugged (they 'kill' by grounding out). Others need 'jumped'. Trial and error usually work for me.

Another way is to check them with a multimeter. The "open/closed" (continuity) tester should change if the state of the switch changes. If it doesn't, it's bad. (Example: when you find the PTO safety, connect the continuity meter to it, and then flip the PTO on/off. The meter should read 0 [open] one way, 1 [closed] the other).