Wishing for Rear Wheel Drive...

AndyMan

Threads
It's just not as much fun driving on unplowed roads and snowy parking lots with front wheel drive. So much harder to do donuts and skids and slides and all those fun things that the kids love and the wife hates...

jigbuilder

Threads
LOL.
Yeah, I never could get the wifes front wheel drive chevy Impala to do a donut but she had no problems in the last snow we had on a short curve just north of the house on glare ice from the days snow melt that had refrozen. She looped it at probably 10 mph on the curve. :laughing. : :laughing:
Luckily the county road curve was short with no ditch or fence and no damage to anything .

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's just not as much fun driving on unplowed roads and snowy parking lots with front wheel drive. So much harder to do donuts and skids and slides and all those fun things that the kids love and the wife hates...

I learned to drive with rear wheel drive cars and the majority of the miles I have driven in my career of 44 years at the wheel have been with those kind. Have always preferred that kind of vehicle anyway.

Andyman, sliding around is for kids, time to grow up !!! :laughing:

AndyMan

Threads
Andyman, sliding around is for kids, time to grow up !!! :laughing:

Phooey on you. Did my wife pay you to say that? :tongue: She won't even watch when we're donutting on ATVs in the driveway, much less in a car on the road!

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Phooey on you. Did my wife pay you to say that? :tongue: She won't even watch when we're donutting on ATVs in the driveway, much less in a car on the road!

No she didn't...but sliding around on the roads is kid stuff, save the antics for OFF THE ROADS.

173abn

Threads
I've got an old 2w/d Chevy PU.Got pleanty of weight in the back.days like today it stays in the barn. russ

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've got an old 2w/d Chevy PU.Got pleanty of weight in the back.days like today it stays in the barn. russ

My winter vehicle used to be a '90 F150 with two wheel drive, I kept the gas tanks full and had a cap covering the bed and about 400 pounds of quarter inch steel plate directly over the rear axle, it could handle up to a foot of dry show really well. Current truck is a Y2K GMC Yukon XL 2500, have used the 4wd maybe twenty times since it was new. Will never waste the $$ on that option again.

Attachments

• Blackberry pics Vol. 1 022.jpg
    Blackberry pics Vol. 1 022.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 4

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
...have used the 4wd maybe twenty times since it was new. Will never waste the $$ on that option again.

Have to agree, 4wd is GREAT on a tractor... For the typical highway driver it is just not going to be used ... UNLESS you really live in snow...

Even the type of snow we get here in Kansas a front wheel drive with good radials has never let me down...
BUT for a fun car with lots of HP, a rear wheel drive is tough to beat, in summer on paved roads... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have to agree, 4wd is GREAT on a tractor... For the typical highway driver it is just not going to be used ... UNLESS you really live in snow...

Even the type of snow we get here in Kansas a front wheel drive with good radials has never let me down...
BUT for a fun car with lots of HP, a rear wheel drive is tough to beat, in summer on paved roads... :smile:KennyV

Kenny, we got 16 inches of new snow on Wednesday, there were drifts as high as 5 feet everyplace, I never went anywhere until the roads were cleared two days later so I didn't need to use my GMC. However, a lot of people who live in rural areas, doctors, police, firemen, etc. need to be able to get to their jobs so for them 4wd is required. My wife wanted the option, not me, but then she never drives our truck anyhow.....:confused2: go figger.

DaveR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Never even considered a 4x2 when I got my truck. I do know some guys who prefer the 4x2 for some reason. They do use chains though. If I don't have 4x4 and it's snowing, I'm not going out.