why are stihl 4 mix fs90r, fs130r and fs250r throttles like LIGHT SWITCHES?

dfbrown

Threads
  • / why are stihl 4 mix fs90r, fs130r and fs250r throttles like LIGHT SWITCHES?
So i have and have had mostly echo and honda trimmers and have used other brands also. So today i used my buddys fs130r (4mix) and his fs250r (2 stroke) and i like both machines except for 1 thing. The throttles are snapper which is nice but way too much like a light switch especially the 130r. So if your mowing like a maniac in high field grass it doesnt matter because the throttle is pinned. But, if you are trimming grass that grows weekly it is like impossible no matter how smooth you try to be it is hard to keep constant rpm smoothly. Why are stihl trimmers like this. Is it because neither has any freeplay when you pull the throttle? very light flywheels or what. I tried his redmax trimmer also and it had a 2 stroke that was not as powerful as 250r but super smooth motor. The fs250r actually vibrates more then i thought but it felt just a hair lighter then the fs130 even though they say the weight is both 13.2 i believe. Anybodys thought would be appreciated. BTW I have never used a trimmer with balls up the @$$ like the fs250r, what a beast.

Grasmo

Threads
I run mine wide open almost all the time, the line stays more consistent...almost like a rigid blade...I am only speaking as to what I prefer. I do not like the inconsistent feel at lower speeds.I know that running it fide open moves more air across the cooling fins and keeps the clutch engaged...... I have found I have far more control over the finished cut using it this way......also the Stihl throttle levers are much more durable the way they are enclosed..... just my thoughts.....25+ years in the biz.

dfbrown

Threads
I run mine wide open almost all the time, the line stays more consistent...almost like a rigid blade...I am only speaking as to what I prefer. I do not like the inconsistent feel at lower speeds.I know that running it fide open moves more air across the cooling fins and keeps the clutch engaged...... I have found I have far more control over the finished cut using it this way......also the Stihl throttle levers are much more durable the way they are enclosed..... just my thoughts.....25+ years in the biz.

So let me get this straight......You run your trimmers WFO almost all the time. Why, holy gas hog. If you are trimming customers lawns weekly and use full throttle while your trimming like 1-1/2" of grass off the top I do not understand why you would be WFO all the time. Brush cutting for sure I get it but whatever floats your boat. But like you said you do not like it at low rpm (probably because its a light switch) I typically use about say 30-50% throttle during normal weekly trimming with no need ever to use full throttle unless I am cutting High grass in a field or something.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

I run my Stihl 90r and 110r wide open all the time, that's the way there designed to run. The only time you shouldn't or vary your speed is during the break-in period, the first five tanks of gas.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would guess, that he does it wide open, because he has learn how to use and control it after more hours of use than the average guy. I wish I had that type of control, as I have found the faster I can cut, the better job I can do. Can only run my Echo at 3/4 throttle. He is also using less fuel running full throttle, as he is getting more work done in less time.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
So let me get this straight......You run your trimmers WFO almost all the time. Why, holy gas hog. If you are trimming customers lawns weekly and use full throttle while your trimming like 1-1/2" of grass off the top I do not understand why you would be WFO all the time. Brush cutting for sure I get it but whatever floats your boat. But like you said you do not like it at low rpm (probably because its a light switch) I typically use about say 30-50% throttle during normal weekly trimming with no need ever to use full throttle unless I am cutting High grass in a field or something.

Well to each his own but I've found that using my trimmers at a low rpm tends to tear the grass rather than cut it. Running wide open gives me a better quality cut on the grass and I can move faster. I've always looked at it like using a trimmer at a low rpm is like using a mower with dull blades.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I run wide open. Gives a better cut less brown tips. The only time I slow it down is on chain link fence

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

possum

Threads
If there is one of those cheap Stihl trimmers within several blocks running on a calm day here in town you can pick it out from a bunch of others by the noise they make running wide open all the time.

Bomba

Threads
I have a lot of fence and a lot of trees on my property. I would like to have more control over the speed of my FS 110R at low RPMs. Having said that, I love how it performs! It has been a worry free trimmer, and that's worth every penny.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
I run my Stihl 90r wide open all the time, that's the way there designed to run..
This is true i have tryed running mine low it just will not do it.