why are stihl 4 mix fs90r, fs130r and fs250r throttles like LIGHT SWITCHES?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / why are stihl 4 mix fs90r, fs130r and fs250r throttles like LIGHT SWITCHES?
Back when the lower end push mower came out with a fixed rpm/full, I realized that there was an army of nuts out there that thought their mower/trimmers
should operate at low rpms.......

The stuff is designed to run at 1 speed, get over it.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I used to fool around with old dudes biatchin about their pushmower's cut and all. Turns out that the problem was they were running the mower @
2000 rpm or so.....

They refused to run at the advised rpms

dfbrown

Threads
photo (2).jpg
I used to fool around with old dudes biatchin about their pushmower's cut and all. Turns out that the problem was they were running the mower @
2000 rpm or so.....

They refused to run at the advised rpms

For all of you that read this now. There is no way your running these things wide open (off the rev limiter) all the time when cutting weekly residential yards. No way. I am not saying to run it like a sissy but no way wide open all the time. Anything around half throttle or so is fine but good luck doing it on a stihl 4 mix. I used them today both fs130r and fs250r (2 stroke) and they are less then 1 year old and get used 2-3 times a week so it aint like there wooped or anything. I mean i understand if you go too slow that you can tear the grass no crap but, telling me you hold them wfo is just stupid. When we do this section of high grass near a field yeah your wfo for a while no doubt but when your just doing trimming on a residential yard weekly and you have mulch near by, stones, windows, cars around etc it is just totally stupid to run one wide open. Uses excess fuel, harder on motor, easy to shoot a rock to a window, would vibrate your hands numb, real sensitive to bumping the head for more string when probably not needed.

UPDATE: Also just saw that the new fs94r 2 stroke coming out soon has a new throttle/handle and a lever (like a wheel) on the new handle to hold the rpm at multiple throttle positions and you can stilll give it more throttle when needed and it comes back to the setting that you set on the (lever wheel) so maybe i am not the only one in the world that doesn't run wfo throttle 24/7 as some claim. Check it out stihl fs94r 2 stroke trimmer coming out soon. (also a fs240) Maybe this is the fix or a nicer way to use it for smoother throttle application. bottom line, the ones made now are just way too twitchy whether its a lean mixture which makes stuff snappy(strict epa regulations) , too light a flywheel, carb/throttle cam design or what it is. I know i am not the only one to complain about this as I have read about it on internet so I know i am not the only one. They are nice trimmers but its a pain in the *** to use these machines. Built well I will say.

btw old men running those mowers at stupid low rpm, yeah i have seen that before but your talking about a mower at max say 3,300rpm on a 21" mower compared to a trimmer running 10,000rpm. I get what your saying though.

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Running partial throttle and running without the shield/cutter is bad and voids Stihl warranties. I have been using an FS90 for a couple of years, and yes,
I might throttle down a tad when I get into small loose gravel, but otherwise, the thing is slow enough as it is.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
If there is one of those cheap Stihl trimmers within several blocks running on a calm day here in town you can pick it out from a bunch of others by the noise they make running wide open all the time.

You can pick it out because it's a 4 stroke and has a different sound than the two stroke.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Running partial throttle and running without the shield/cutter is bad and voids Stihl warranties. I have been using an FS90 for a couple of years, and yes,
I might throttle down a tad when I get into small loose gravel, but otherwise, the thing is slow enough as it is.

I pulled my shields of after the things went out of warranty, I really hate running the shields they just get in the way and there just added weight.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I do too, I have a big trimmer and run the good stuff extra long. If it does cause any problem, I fix it and don't blame the mfgr.

We used to have to deal with commercial guys bringing their stuff back in with problems, they though that just clamping back on their new looking shield
would fool us....

bry109

Forum Newbie
Threads
I now I'm a newbie but most people do not realize they have to run it at wide throttle to get the line to advance.
just my .02

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I run my Stihl 90r and 110r wide open all the time, that's the way there designed to run. The only time you shouldn't or vary your speed is during the break-in period, the first five tanks of gas.

I sometimes question that. I run my FS90r to wide open and it sounds like the revs jump just like a car hitting the rev limiter. I sometimes wonder if that is bad or not. I've read somewhere that it isn't good to let a trimmer wide open all the time, but those are just specultions that I have read.

I have no problems with the switch and I can make the trimmer go slower if I want. I guess I have good abilities with my STIHL.