Chainsaw: removing and changing the bolt that holds the blade

JumpingJack

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Chainsaw: removing and changing the bolt that holds the blade
Hi there,

wonder if anyone has had this problem, guess it is kinda common, but couldn稚 find a good solution on it. I have two chainsaws, one Sthil for heavy duty and a Ryobi for light duty. One of my Ryobi痴 bolts that hold the blade in place, with two nuts, has broken off, and now I can only fasten it with one nut, making it rather unstable and kinda 'useless'.

I have tried to weld another bolt on it, but it just dont work and also I am too cautious to remove the bolt without knowing if there is a proper way to weld the new bolt on. I understand that the fix will not make it as strong as it was out of the factory, but I just want it more stable than now. After 10 odd minutes I need unscrew the one nut and realign the blade and fasten it.

The labor of doing this is not what is the most worrying, the worrying part is if the blade comes lose while I am using the chainsaw.

Please help

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi there,

One of my Ryobi痴 bolts that hold the blade in place, with two nuts, has broken off, and now I can only fasten it with one nut, making it rather unstable and kinda 'useless'.

I have tried to weld another bolt on it, but it just dont work and also I am too cautious to remove the bolt without knowing if there is a proper way to weld the new bolt on. I understand that the fix will not make it as strong as it was out of the factory,

Do you mean there is a stud broken off... ?
There are several ways to remove a sheared off stud, depending on how it was originally fixed... can you post a close up picture of what you are dealing with?...
as to being weaker than original... there are many times you can make a repair far stronger than the manufacturers design... :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
On most saws that I've worked on, the studs that fasten the bar (aka blade) onto the powerhead are screwed in and can be removed using an "easy out" -- maybe KennyV knows another method.

If the saw is worth fixing at all, I would take care to do this properly -- take it to a machine shop to have the stud removed and get the correct replacement part.