Hard starting, where do I start

limeex2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a lawn Boy Utility 20 model 4501. machine ran fine, but eventually got very hard to start. Where is a good place to start to try to get it easier to start without sticking a ton of money into it. Thanks for your help

sgmgarden

Threads
Do you have a local dealer or parts store? Sometimes they are the best places to go for advice as they know what they are talking about.

bwdbrn1

Threads
Lots of Lawn Boy experts out there who could probably give you some great advise. How does it run once it's started? 2 strokes require good seals to run, and like any engine, good fuel, a clean carb, good spark plug and air cleaner.

robinb66

Threads
if I were you i'd start with replacing the oil seals both top and bottom and make sure all gaskets on the carb are brand new when replacing, also check to if there's any sign of leakage around the head where it connects to the case, very rare to get a leak there but not unheard of

JohnBoy1

Threads
Remove the muffler and toss it on the BBQ to burn out the carbon. Replace the lower seal and clean the three exhaust port holes with a wooden dowel. Open the altitude screw 1/8 to 1/4 turn to richen it up a hair. That dang e10 or e15 makes all my boys run a bit off and need a hair more fuel.