X ONE 54" OR 60"?

pineyrooter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ran a 60" demo yesterday and its a dang fine mower. I have 4-5 acres to mow in 3 different locations and most is open ground with just a few trees here and there. I may pick up a couple/three yards nearby to generate some fuel money. The price of the 54" X One and 60" X One is little difference so I've got to make a decision. Both have the same 850 Kaw engine but I'm thinking the 54" may offer better access in residential yards so that's a plus. The only difference I can see is the rear tires go from 12" on the 60" to 9.5" on the 54". I think they have the same frame so my only real question is what's the difference in handling and balance on side slope mowing and mowing quality. I mean can I look for the 60" to really scalp that much easier on uneven ground? I'm used to a Kubota 54 inch deck that I use at work and it too has the wider tires and I suppose a more narrow frame. Anybody ran the 54" and 60" that can tell me the real differences?

Threads
Ran a 60" demo yesterday and its a dang fine mower. I have 4-5 acres to mow in 3 different locations and most is open ground with just a few trees here and there. I may pick up a couple/three yards nearby to generate some fuel money. The price of the 54" X One and 60" X One is little difference so I've got to make a decision. Both have the same 850 Kaw engine but I'm thinking the 54" may offer better access in residential yards so that's a plus. The only difference I can see is the rear tires go from 12" on the 60" to 9.5" on the 54". I think they have the same frame so my only real question is what's the difference in handling and balance on side slope mowing and mowing quality. I mean can I look for the 60" to really scalp that much easier on uneven ground? I'm used to a Kubota 54 inch deck that I use at work and it too has the wider tires and I suppose a more narrow frame. Anybody ran the 54" and 60" that can tell me the real differences?

I don't have any experience, but if they are both 3-blade mowers I don't think one would scalp TOO much more than the other. But do you have any gates or skinny strips of grass that a 54" would be better than a 60"?

gabowman

Threads
A 60 is only 3" wider on each side. Get the 60.:)

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
A wider deck will scalp more on uneven lawns. Side discharge machines?
Mad Mackie in CT

pineyrooter

Forum Newbie
Threads
No narrow strips on what I'm mowing right now. Its pretty much blow and go but if I pick up a few yards a 60" might be tight. I still have my lawn tractor so I guess if it gets tight I can always fall back to the tractor. After Friday I have no doubt Hustler is the way to go for me. Got a price of 7800.00 including taxes for a 60" X One with the 850 Kaw engine and I just don't think I can beat that deal. The 54" was a hundred less with the same engine so as soon as I can acquire a bigger trailer I'm hoping to go "load one up" and get on with it. I read somewhere the larger rear tires of the 60" tends to dig up the grass less when turning but that's seems something that is maybe more dependent on the driver than the tires but that's just me thinking. I figure I'll be happy with either one but I'm leaning 60".

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds good, I have a 2012 X-ONE Kawi FX 730V with a 60" rear discharge deck that is used primarily for cemetery mowing and it stays at the cemetery. My other ZTR is a Scag Tiger Cub a 48" deck with a collection system that I use about 90% of the time. I wanted a 52" deck, but with the collection blower mounted, getting in and out of my cargo trailer was tight passing by the ramp cables, so I went with a 48" deck. Trailer is a 7' X 14' cargo with ramp, extra height, wide side door.
Are you looking at an X-ONE or an X-ONE I?
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

pineyrooter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds good, I have a 2012 X-ONE Kawi FX 730V with a 60" rear discharge deck that is used primarily for cemetery mowing and it stays at the cemetery. My other ZTR is a Scag Tiger Cub a 48" deck with a collection system that I use about 90% of the time. I wanted a 52" deck, but with the collection blower mounted, getting in and out of my cargo trailer was tight passing by the ramp cables, so I went with a 48" deck. Trailer is a 7' X 14' cargo with ramp, extra height, wide side door.
Are you looking at an X-ONE or an X-ONE I?

The X-One is what I'm considering. I like the Scags too.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
For sure the hustler X-ONE is one fine machine!!! I have no hesitation whatsoever in highly recommending the Hustler X-ONE to anyone. As for deck width, this is your call, I initially wanted a 54" rear discharge machine for cemetery use, but my dealer had a 60" rear discharge deck machine in stock and I needed a machine ASAP so the 60" deck is what we got. It replaced a 1993 Hustler Excel 260K that had 2,000 hours on it but had engine trouble. The cemetery also has other machines.
The X-ONE is one tough and capable machine. I don't operate the machine much but I do the maintenance on all the cemetery machines.

Last edited: