Self propelled doesn't "propel"

Jim Bennett

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good evening to everyone. I posted this in another area and did not get any replies. Not sure if I did it incorrectly or what, so am posting i the Troy-Bilt forum. Sure do hope someone might be able to shed some light on the problem 'cause I just don't think I am that lousy of a mechanic. Thanks in advance!

I am now to the point where I really need help or advice on what to do with this wonderful Troybilt mower. Guess I should have just taken my lumps and moved on when I found this mower wouldn't work after I bought it. Now I am in so deep on this mower, that I almost could have bought a new one. Any help sure would be appreciated. Here is the status: Ordered a new transmission from Troybilt. Now, it does go forward, but you have to squeeze the lever so hard that you think you might break it, and after 20 min end up with blisters on your hands. The tension is set as far as it can go on "tighten". The other issue is that even if the mower is not running, to pull it "backwards" almost takes two men and a boy. It is the same when it is running. The fact that it is so hard to pull it backwards, makes it basically useless for anyone other than Hercules. Not sure why, but it seems that to make the wheels go "backwards", you are making the transmission also turn backwards??? Essentially, this freaking mower has all new parts; i.e. new transmission and new drive belt. The rest of the moving parts are in very good condition and yet, it just doesn't work worth a darn. I bought this mower at an auction and was trying to fix it up for my son. Now I have a super nice looking mower that I paid $90 for, a brand new belt and various parts at $48 and now a new transmission at $130. Not counting the countless hours of cleaning, painting, putting together, taking apart and putting together again. (never worked on something that was such an engineering disaster to disassemble and reassemble).

Anyway, if anyone can offer assistance, that would be wonderful. If we can't get this freaking mower to work right, anyone know someone who might be interested in the parts? Engine runs very well and I don't think it has many hours on it since there is so little wear on the tires etc. All gears are in excellent condition, obviously a brand new transmission and drive belt. This engine is the one with electric start which works very well except the battery is pretty weak. With a fresh charge on the battery, the thing starts like a champ with the key. Thanks in advance! Jim B

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you tried to adjust the drive cable it might be to tight.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

Jim Bennett

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you tried to adjust the drive cable it might be to tight.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

The mower just "barely" goes forward when you squeeze the handle. Although it is a brand new belt, and brand new transmission, it still acts like there is too much play in the belt. I am normally not this dumb. Guess with this little project, the dumb thing was to order parts for almost $200 and make more of a bad investment. Sure would appreciate any other thoughts.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can you take up any more play on the drive cable..?

Jim Bennett

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can you take up any more play on the drive cable..?

Good Morning and thanks for the note. The drive cable is adjusted out as far as it can go. What blows my mind, is that everything with regard to the drive system is brand new. Only thing I didn't replace was the pulley on the engine. Go figure