Velocity deck hurricane mulch system

Irk454

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just purchased the kit for my cheetah. Wondering if anyone else is using this, and if they are having good results?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just purchased the kit for my cheetah. Wondering if anyone else is using this, and if they are having good results?

Do you mind sharing what that mulch kit cost you??? I just purchased the kit for my Gravely Pro-Turn 152 and my dealer sold it to me for $156(MSRP was $187). I assume the Scag kit creates three distinct/enclosed circles around the blades and includes mulching blades just like my Gravely kit. My hopes are we both have good results from our investment!!

Threads
Do you mind sharing what that mulch kit cost you??? I just purchased the kit for my Gravely Pro-Turn 152 and my dealer sold it to me for $156(MSRP was $187). I assume the Scag kit creates three distinct/enclosed circles around the blades and includes mulching blades just like my Gravely kit. My hopes are we both have good results from our investment!!

SCAG POWER EQUIPMENT - Hurricane Mulching System

HURRICANE-DIAGRAM.jpg

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

Thanks lmf...you're on it my friend!!! That is an interesting mulching setup. I've not found any pictures like that on the Gravely site of their mulch kit installed, but I may take/post some pics this weekend. Those "eliminator" blades seem to closely resemble a gator blade design and I thought Gator blades weren't really designed for an enclosed mulch kit, but more for finer clippings with a side discharge. It'll be good to get some feedback from the OP of how well it works(as I will do after using my Gravely kit a few times).

Last edited:

Irk454

Forum Newbie
Threads
The kit cost $329 plus tax & shipping. The outer part of the blade is like a gator blade, but the middle of the blade is sharp also and directs the grass back downward. Cut 4 lawns today, the first three had heavy dew, didn't leave any clumps. The last lawn was pretty dry but had grown fairly heavy, once again cut it flawlessly. Very impressed so far.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
The kit cost $329 plus tax & shipping. The outer part of the blade is like a gator blade, but the middle of the blade is sharp also and directs the grass back downward. Cut 4 lawns today, the first three had heavy dew, didn't leave any clumps. The last lawn was pretty dry but had grown fairly heavy, once again cut it flawlessly. Very impressed so far.

Well for $156 plus taxes I am VERY pleased with the Gravely mulch kit!!! It looks pretty similar to yours when installed(except it has "regular looking" mulch blades), but the mulch baffles are "curved Y's" and yours look more like "straight Y's". I got it installed Saturday, but it rained(poured) for about 3-4 hours before I could get it installed. Rained again Sunday morning, but by 12:00PM the sun came back out. I decided to give it a try around 5:00PM even though I knew the grass was still extremely wet. I set the deck at 3"(I normally mow at 2 1/4" - 2 1/2") and was surprised at how well it did(barely dropped some clippings towards the end of mowing the front yard...another pass on those two strips took care of that). It dropped a couple of clumps of clippings in the back yard, but overall I think it did extremely well. Unfortunately, there were a ton of clippings built up underneath the deck that had to be washed out when I was done. I'm anxious to mow the end of this week(no rain and low 90's forecast all week long!!!!!!) to see the results with dry grass. I think I will be very pleased with the results(except for the back yard, there was no evidence of grass clippings the first time with wet grass). I took some pictures from underneath the deck of before/after installing the kit and I'll try to get them posted.

Now.....to convince the wife that I need that Gravely hex striper kit!!!!

cgaynor

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm considersing buying a Hurricane Mulch kit for my 61" Cheetah. How has yours worked? Does it mulch well even if the grass is a little wet or perhaps a little long?

cgaynor

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm looking a one that costs $320 for the kit and another $100 to have it installed.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm considersing buying a Hurricane Mulch kit for my 61" Cheetah. How has yours worked? Does it mulch well even if the grass is a little wet or perhaps a little long?
WOW....$320 plus $100 installation:0(
I feel better about what I paid for mine already!!! I rarely if ever mow wet grass(haven't since installing the mulch kit at the end of last summer) but I have mowed at 2 1/2" with the grass around 5" tall(I usually mow it when it is around 4" tall) and there still weren't any grass clippings evident on the lawn when I was done. It did seem to have a little more grass buildup underneath the deck than usual but still easily removed with the deck raised to the transport position.

P.S>
Scag ZTR's are known for performance, but they(and Kubotas) are quite a bit pricier than many other brands that I consider as good of quality. I had heard that Kubota parts are pretty expensive too and it seems that the same goes for Scag's.