Mower wont start only whines

86 wheelhorse

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please help. I just got a 1986 wheelhorse off of craigslist. It worked fine the first day then today it stopped running. Now when i turn the key it just makes a whining noise. It will not turn over. And i know the battery is new. What could it be?

It is a brigs and straton engine

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Can you turn the engine by hand? If so you may have a bad electrical connection, possible starter failure, or the new battery may have a bad cell and not working properly. If you are not getting at least 9 volts to the starter it won't work.

86 wheelhorse

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took a look at the starter and i looks as if it ia trying to turn the mtor. But the motor wont turn. An i cannot turn it by hand either.

07drummerboy

Threads
Have you checked the starter teath on the pinion it could have stripped the teeth on the top of the motorstarter joe.jpg

173abn

Threads
I'm with drummer boy,look at the gear on the starter and the ring gear on the flywheel.a lot of these are made of plastic and the teeth either wear or break. russ

jross

Threads
I'd go with a bad starter gear since it whines.

jteuban

Threads
Starter can be bad, but before changing that check to make sure the battery connections are on the correct post that could also be a prob; and an easy one at that. that would be much better than replacing a starter motor. if it looks in good condition you can rebuild a starter sometimes cheaper than a new one, if you wish to do that. Prob find parts at local shop or online; cheers

mutu

Forum Newbie
Threads
Starter Motor on my Husqvana failed to start engine. I replaced it and the Ignition switch. Battery is excellent and the power flows but the starter just whirrs. Is there a chance that the second sprocket they sent me with the starter a different size and might work better?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mutu, we have a big problem here. First you have posted on a thread that is six years old. May get little action. Second we have no ideal which Husqvarna tractor you have and what engine is in it. If you really want help please do the following.

1. Start a new thread, it doesn’t matter on which forum, the moderators will move it to the proper one.
2. Include in that thread the following.
A. Model and serial numbers for your tractor.
B. Brand, and all numbers off the engine. Different manufacturers use different number sequences.
C. Describe to the best of your ability what your problem is.
D. Describe to the best of your ability what you have done to solve the problem.

You must paint us a picture of what you have and what is happening. Remember we are not standing next to you and our ESP is down since Trump took office. There are members from all over the world willing to help you, but you must help us first.