Just purchased my first John Deere

mistermac99

Forum Newbie
Threads
Last week, I bought a D130 to mow the 1/4 acre yard around my house.
So far, I have only mowed one time, and things went well.
I'm hoping this mower will last me years and years.
I just sold a Huskee by MTD that I bought in 2000. It was still running and looking well.
Before that, I had a Murray I used for 20 years, and acutally purchased it used, then sold to someone when I finished with it.
Riding mowers have usually lasted me a long time, since I keep them stored in a building, and do the scheudled maintainence.
I have high hopes for my Deere.
Looking forward to getting useful advice on occasion from this forum.
Cheers!

Threads
I just sold a Huskee by MTD that I bought in 2000. It was still running and looking well.
Before that, I had a Murray I used for 20 years, and acutally purchased it used, then sold to someone when I finished with it.
Riding mowers have usually lasted me a long time, since I keep them stored in a building, and do the scheudled maintainence.
Cheers!

Let us know what you think after using it some more! :smile:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cheers!

Can I ask why you went with John Deere over a brand that has lasted you 13 years?

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

mistermac99

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can I ask why you went with John Deere over a brand that has lasted you 13 years?

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

Knowing that there are good and bad mowers within any brand, I really think the longevity of anyting lies in how it's taken care of.
All I have ever bought was the cheaper/cheapest riding mower, or even used ones. This time I thought I would treat myself to a reputable brand, a little above the cheapest grade.
We shall see how the two compare. As I already have good data about the longevity of the cheaper ones, I hope to some day surpass those with the new JD.

mistermac99

Forum Newbie
Threads
Let us know what you think after using it some more! :smile:

I mowed for the second time today and have the following:

Pros:
Mows well
Cuts evenly
I like how it stops going down hill when you let off the gas
Has lots of power

Cons:
Seat is too high, or steering wheel is too low. I'm 6'3, and it's hurting my back to bend down to the steering wheel. Maybe I can get an extension?
Gotta get used to the RIO, but I think I will
Doesn't turn as small a radius as advertised
When putting up after mowing, hearing a clicking from front of motor, sort of like a valve clicking. Gonna call the dealer tomorrow about this.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello! Welcome to LawnWorld!

We moved your thread to the John Deere forum.

Howdy Doody

Threads
I mowed for the second time today and have the following:

Pros:
Mows well
Cuts evenly
I like how it stops going down hill when you let off the gas
Has lots of power

Cons:
Seat is too high, or steering wheel is too low. I'm 6'3, and it's hurting my back to bend down to the steering wheel. Maybe I can get an extension?
Gotta get used to the RIO, but I think I will
Doesn't turn as small a radius as advertised
When putting up after mowing, hearing a clicking from front of motor, sort of like a valve clicking. Gonna call the dealer tomorrow about this.

So now that you have had the D130 for a while, would you recommend this mower to another potential buyer? If no, let me know why not. My candidates in
order are the D130, the Cub Cadet LTX1042KW and lastly a Craftsman 42" with the tight turn, hydro...

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
So now that you have had the D130 for a while, would you recommend this mower to another potential buyer? If no, let me know why not. My candidates in order are the D130, the Cub Cadet LTX1042KW and lastly a Craftsman 42" with the tight turn, hydro...

The cub cadet is a much better built mower for the money. Even the craftsman is a better mower then the john Deere.

As far as repairing and price of parts the d130 will empty your wallet

Howdy Doody

Threads
The cub cadet is a much better built mower for the money. Even the craftsman is a better mower then the john Deere.

As far as repairing and price of parts the d130 will empty your wallet

I am sure any of these could empty your wallet easy. I have read lots of bad things online about both the Cub and the Craftsman. For what you get, I think the Cub is the best deal going, just can't get over the bad reviews. If it was just a few, then I would take them for what they are worth, but there are lots. Even on the Craftsman there are lots, maybe 10 times more! You read lots of things online even by reputable sources like CR. I wish I had a good reason to buy the Cub over the Deere, because I would.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am sure any of these could empty your wallet easy. I have read lots of bad things online about both the Cub and the Craftsman. For what you get, I think the Cub is the best deal going, just can't get over the bad reviews. If it was just a few, then I would take them for what they are worth, but there are lots. Even on the Craftsman there are lots, maybe 10 times more! You read lots of things online even by reputable sources like CR. I wish I had a good reason to buy the Cub over the Deere, because I would.

I got the cub this past April now with over 900 hours on it starts and drives just as if it was new.

It gives a very good cut.
My brother inlaw came to help me with a few yards with his D130. He could not hang with me in the tall thick grass.

With over 900 hours I have had to replace
Both front tires
Spindle bearings.
3 blade belts.
And the normal things like blades, oil , filters.
Have not had to replace drive belts and they still look good.
Hold hills better than any riding mower I have used.
Every year I buy a new mower this was my first cub cadet and the best mower I have used in this price range. I will use it again this year rather then buy a new one.

I have not used the craftsman but as a rule I like craftsman.

IMO john Deere makes very good tractors for the farm but cheap mowers.