Car Muck in the Garage

AndyMan

Threads
All winter my garage is full of car muck. You know, the stuff that falls off the tires and mudflaps and fenders after having driven in the snow.

My way to get rid of it is to dump shovelfuls of show on it, spread it around, then shovel/squeegee out the whole mess.

How do you do it?

BGC

Threads
I never thought of doing it the way you described. I usually get my shop vac or take my shop broom and push it all out. I do hate all the muck that comes from the snow or rain.

LandN

Threads
Kick the big portions off while in the driveway,whatever little else accumulates on the garage floor can be broomed away :smile:

Pika

Threads
Well, I never thought there would be an upside to not having a garage, but there it is! I think if I *had* a garage, I would do it LandN's way, as that would be the least messy of the ways listed (in my opinion).

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
All winter my garage is full of car muck. You know, the stuff that falls off the tires and mudflaps and fenders after having driven in the snow.

My way to get rid of it is to dump shovelfuls of show on it, spread it around, then shovel/squeegee out the whole mess.

How do you do it?

I can deal with the (ice boogers, snotsicles, fenderbergs) the same way you do, by using snow and then getting rid of the whole mess. The ice itself isn't a problem but it is usually full of salt which gradually ruins the concrete floor. Best to get the salt out before that happens.

Back in 1990 when my garage was new, my brother was storing his '73 Corvette in the garage, I put the door up using the house remote, walked out into the garage, got a few feet inside, smelled gas, and looked down at the floor...the tank on his car had leaked and spread about 10 gallons of gas on the floor!! I very carefully walked out, went into the house to shut off the power to the garage, went back out wearing rubber boots, then pushed my nearly new LTD outside, it was in the wintertime and I spread snow around the garage floor, it soaked up the gas and I moved it outside with a plastic blade shovel. Not sure what I would have done if the snow had not been handy.

AndyMan

Threads
Kick the big portions off while in the driveway,whatever little else accumulates on the garage floor can be broomed away :smile:

Our winters are so wet that the garage floor never dries out enough to sweep it away. That's why I use the snow. Now, if I could only get my wife to kick the gunk off in the driveway...

JumpingJack

Forum Newbie
Threads
I The ice itself isn't a problem but it is usually full of salt which gradually ruins the concrete floor. Best to get the salt out before that happens.

Another issue with regards to the salt mixed in the car muck, is that it will make your car start rusting from underneath. Make sure that you wash it underneath as well as above when you wash the car. Else you will allow the salt to 'eat' into the car.

Hershey

Threads
Our cars wouldn't fit in the garage. We have too much other stuff in there. Truly, it wouldn't get inside even an inch. We used to, but that was too long ago to even remember.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Our cars wouldn't fit in the garage. We have too much other stuff in there. Truly, it wouldn't get inside even an inch. We used to, but that was too long ago to even remember.

Be happy you are not me, you would have seven vehicles and two ATV's sitting outside....

LittleRed

Threads
Wow, that's an awful lot of vehicles! I don't have a garage at all, my car lives in a private parking lot in our development. So at least I don't have to keep the floor clean!