Black and Decker cordless mower - removing the wheel

seanathen

Threads
I can't seem to find ANYTHING online about how to remove the wheel. There's no nut, so obviously the clip has to come off. How do I do that without breaking the clip or the wheel? Are replacement clips available at say, Home Depot?

I need to fix the hieght adjuster. It looks like it's a just bent enough that it won't fully grab the notched plate, and it looks like I could use pliers and squeeze it closed a bit and it would be all good. But to get to it, I have to take off the rear wheel. It's the newer 19" model, and it's NOT self propelled. Would be so much easier if it were just a nut!

I read one small post that seemed to suggest using the claw end of a hammer. Sounds like it will break things...

-Sean

seanathen

Threads
46 people have viewed this but none of them knows how to get the wheel off? Is it seriously that complicated? I might just have to try the hammer claw idea....

Sigh...

MowerMike

Threads
Can you post a photo ? If it's a c-clip, just insert a small flat blade screwdriver in one of the notches and snap it off. You then use a pliers or larger flat blade screwdriver to snap it back in place. The wheels on my pressure washer are attached that way.

seanathen

Threads
Can you post a photo ? If it's a c-clip, just insert a small flat blade screwdriver in one of the notches and snap it off. You then use a pliers or larger flat blade screwdriver to snap it back in place. The wheels on my pressure washer are attached that way.

I will try to get a pic. Its not a c clip. Its like a washer with backwards splines to keep it from coming off. Will try to post pics in the next 30 minutes.

seanathen

Threads
Here's a few pics. Both my corded and cordless Black and Decker mowers have the same spined looking washer that holds the wheels on.

Attachments

• DSC02433.jpg
    DSC02433.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC02430.jpg
    DSC02430.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC02429.jpg
    DSC02429.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 25

MowerMike

Threads
I will try to get a pic. Its not a c clip. Its like a washer with backwards splines to keep it from coming off. Will try to post pics in the next 30 minutes.

I think what you have is a "push ring", which is normally used on childrens toys and other situations where you never intend to remove the wheel. They are not meant to be removed without destroying them and must be replaced afterwards with new ones. You can probably find replacements at a good hardware store. It seems pretty stupid of B&D to use such a method to attach the wheels on an expensive lawn mower. As to how to remove it without damaging the wheel, I don't know since I've never tried. The wheels on all my mowers and other tools are held on by threaded nuts or bolts, cotter pins and C-clips.

part_p_849825_612293296_med.gif

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/ringpush-p-849825.html

seanathen

Threads
yes, it IS a push ring. I'm not worried about ruining the ring since I'm assuming I can just get another one for a 1/2" shaft, but I am worried about breaking the wheel. Any suggestions for just getting it off would be helpful. I could try cutting it off with wire cutters. I'm pretty sure prying it off will result in breaking something else. The shaft has a groove on it to hold it on to make it even worse for getting off.

Threads
yes, it IS a push ring. I'm not worried about ruining the ring since I'm assuming I can just get another one for a 1/2" shaft, but I am worried about breaking the wheel. Any suggestions for just getting it off would be helpful. I could try cutting it off with wire cutters. I'm pretty sure prying it off will result in breaking something else. The shaft has a groove on it to hold it on to make it even worse for getting off.

Yes they come in different sizes. After one fell off the rear guard on my Honda, I had to replace it. Here are some people's recommendations on how to get a push nut off, but you are right...CAUTION: YOU MIGHT BREAK SOMETHING ELSE IF YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL!

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads

I just use a small flat screwdriver wedge it behind the ring and bend the ring. Then a pair of needle nose vice grips and violently get the thing off. They take a lot of patience to not break the wheel and you can't re use the ring no matter how nicely you take it off.

Have a small air 1 1/2" cut off tool I use that on my sons radio flyer to replace a broken wheel

dawn36

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm a little late to the party, but this is exactly the problem I ran into....a back wheel on my B&D cordless mower was getting wobbly and i couldn't get the thing off to replace it, so i kept mowing with it until the metal bar/axle chewed completely through the plastic wheel and it broke off. I had been hoping to get thru the mowing season and then bring it to the B&D dealer an hour away (They told me i'd have to leave it there and then come back), but this was not at all convenient when the grass needs to be cut, like now.

I needed to replace the wheel more quickly but all i could find was 8 inch universal wheels, not 9 inch, which meant i had to replace both back wheels on the mower, not just the one that broke off. I found this site after desperately looking for advice on how to get off the washer with teeth on the other wheel and was FINALLY able to get it off by getting a flathead screwdriver on it and bending it up and eventually popping it out, but it WASNT easy.

The guy at my local hardware store easily found replacement washers with those teeth; these are the only things keeping those wheels in place on the axle, but i had to use some pliers to pull up some of the teeth to get the washer back on the axle after putting the new wheel on.

Now I'm ready to go; with the smaller back wheels, I guess I may need to raise the grass cutting height a bit but I am curious to see if it mows fine and if those washers with teeth HOLD.