Weed Eaters

BGC

Threads
I had the worse time keeping string in my weed eater, so I replaced it with a saw blade and no more problem. What kind of weed eater do you have and what modifications have you done?

173abn

Threads
BGC,got a fs90 Sthil,got the string,poly head and just bought a carbide blade for it.I'll use the blade to cut black locust from between my fence posts.also wild rose which is very nasty and considered a nixous weed here. russ

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had the worse time keeping string in my weed eater, so I replaced it with a saw blade and no more problem. What kind of weed eater do you have and what modifications have you done?

Used to buy the $100 Craftsmans, now buy Yard Machines and other MTD made for $60. Service life seems about the same for me and the cheaper ones are lighter. No modifications to any I have ever had.

LandN

Threads
i'm not sure i want to put a solid blade on the trimmer and be banging against stone/brick/pavement etc and i dont want to switch back-n-forth tween string and blade.i've also just bought 1 year throw-a-ways, but 'now' i'm on my 2nd year with a commercial duty trimmer with heavy duty line and never had no problem.and also have done road side ditches with it.no problem

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll second what LandN is saying. I use string in my trimmer -- I believe it's safer than a blade.

If it's going through too much string make sure you're using the correct diameter of string.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
If your having problems with using to much Trimmer line Try Nylium Starline it contains an aluminum particle additive or The Firecracker trimmer line it has a Titanium core and both wear great. Either one should cut the amount of line you use.

cubby

Threads
I use a Stihl fs76 with the 3 poly blade head. It'll cut thru high grass or weeds with ease. Only drawback

is changing the blades when they wear down, as it takes a little time to do. It also uses a piece of string

in the head too. You can use any cutting head you want on this but I like this best. I did have a metal

saw blade on it once and scared myself with it. As for maintenance I use their oil for the fuel mix

and keep the rotating head greased and air filter clean. Had it now for almost 20 yrs and wore the

head out once, it's plastic. I'd buy another one if or when this one dies....cubby

Kryten

Threads
Yeah, I've never really had any problems with my trimmer using too much line. I wonder if it is a problem with the fit on yours, or if it doesn't like certain, woodier stems or something?

Kingwood990

Threads
I have a Stihl FS55R and FS55RC.
On the FS55R I am running the standard bump feed head with 0.90 hex line.
On the FS55RC I am running a Stihl Polycut head with hard line that fits in the head and the Stihl cutting blades.

mowing crazy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Stihl FS 80. Dont make them anymore. Stockpiled them. Badass! .095 Line always. We eat it up like candy. But it does what its supposed to.