Briggs Stratton 15.5 hp carburetor problem

dukalmighty

Forum Newbie
Threads
I removed and cleaned the carburetor by spraying it out with carb cleaner,the float needle was gummed up and stuck once I got it out I cleaned it up until it was moving freely.The problem is when the mower starts it will run on like 1/2 choke or on lower idle speeds,but at medium to full throttle will die out,I'm not sure but it may be flooding out,what do I need to do to fix it,pics would help.Thanks Steve

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some of the newer carbs have a jet that is just pressed lightly in place, and you may have lost it when you were cleaning, causing your engine to run way too rich.
Put up your complete engine's model numbers.

dukalmighty

Forum Newbie
Threads
Some of the newer carbs have a jet that is just pressed lightly in place, and you may have lost it when you were cleaning, causing your engine to run way too rich.
Put up your complete engine's model numbers.

Thanks Fish the numbers are 13AM762F765 also number 183629 on a Bolens tractor ok I think this is the actual engine number 061006ZE52108

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
No, look on the valve cover beside the spark plug, there will be a model, type, and code number, give me all of them.

dukalmighty

Forum Newbie
Threads
No, look on the valve cover beside the spark plug, there will be a model, type, and code number, give me all of them.

OK I gotta take the front off the mower since there aren't any visible numbers on top.you think they could of put the numbers in a more visible area.:mad:

dukalmighty

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay I looked all over that engine,I even found a site that was showing how easy it was to find the numbers,I even pulled the OHV valve cover off and looked at every side of it which is where it showed most of the numbers were located on the video,this thing got out of the factory without any numbers getting stamped on it.The mower was built and purchased in 2005

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
engine.gifIf it is the one with the plastic top, the numbers would be under the front of the plastic, stamped in the metal, right above
the valve cover.

dukalmighty

Forum Newbie
Threads
View attachment 16823If it is the one with the plastic top, the numbers would be under the front of the plastic, stamped in the metal, right above
the valve cover.

That's the engine I have,but there is no metal plate under the plastic cover above the valve cover,the only metal plate is the heat shield on the sides and there are no numbers.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well to confirm that it is running way too rich, first make sure the choke is fully open, take off the air filter, , shut off the
fuel, if it has a valve/or just pinch the fuel line lightly with vice grips. Start and run, keep running until it is out of fuel.

if right at the end, it speeds up and runs great for a second or two, then dies, then you know that it is was too rich.
if so, go back into the carb, see if you can find a brand and part number on it.

goldacres

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've officially subscribed to this thread as I have the same engine and having the same problems. I've even done the first few steps mentioned. Only difference is I can't keep it running. It dies after about 10 seconds.