Weak point in front drive mowers

sclan

Forum Newbie
Threads
What would the weak point in the drive system of a self propelled front drive mower?
The drive wheels?
The transaxel?

I have a 7hp self propelled mower and I want to use it for some really rough mowing with some really steep berms and such. I have been using a sickle bar rough terrain mower for a few years but its starting to get smooth enough to do it (kind of:rolleyes:) with the mower set at the highes setting.
Its bouncing around pretty violently from the rough ground and just wanted to know what to expect in terms of repair parts.:confused2:

Thanks

rekees

Threads
I've used front wheel drive mowers for decades. I think the weakest part is the drive belt from the motor to the front wheels. It doesn't break but does tend to wear quickly then starts slipping. I'd be careful to avoid rocks mowing the rough terrain or the blade could be broken.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
What would the weak point in the drive system of a self propelled front drive mower?
The drive wheels?
The transaxel?

I have a 7hp self propelled mower and I want to use it for some really rough mowing with some really steep berms and such. I have been using a sickle bar rough terrain mower for a few years but its starting to get smooth enough to do it (kind of:rolleyes:) with the mower set at the highes setting.
Its bouncing around pretty violently from the rough ground and just wanted to know what to expect in terms of repair parts.:confused2:

Thanks

I have been using Craftsman and MTD front drive self propelled mowers since '88. The older models all use a metal gear case and bronze bushings, today's models use a molded plastic case and no bushings.
My oldest mower that has a plastic case is still using the OEM belt after 4 years of heavy use, I had expected the case to fail by now but it hasn't. One of the best ways to prolong belt life is power wash the underside of the mower frequently and remove the plastic shroud that covers the belt (if equipped) and clean under there. Without trash and grit rubbing the belt they last longer. Tip here....don't waste money getting replacement belts at a dealer or home center store like Lowes. Go to TSC and check out their selection of belts in the hardware section. BIG price difference.

motorrefurb

Threads
The plastic gears probably don't do well with rough use :frown: