Botom Seal

cashman

Threads
Got my trusty 30113S out to cut some grass and all of a sudden it didn't want to pull very good. Looked up under it and the botom oil seal on the Briggs had let go! And they don't just sell the seal anymore, you have to buy a bushing and seal kit. Guess after 30+ years the seal did it's job. I know how I'll be spending the weekend!!!

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got my trusty 30113S out to cut some grass and all of a sudden it didn't want to pull very good. Looked up under it and the botom oil seal on the Briggs had let go! And they don't just sell the seal anymore, you have to buy a bushing and seal kit. Guess after 30+ years the seal did it's job. I know how I'll be spending the weekend!!!

Sounds like a fun project

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

I don't believe you can't buy the seal anymore. There are different ways of buying seals. One way is when you get the seal out there might or might not be a number on it and if there is you could be able to buy a new seal using that number. The other way is to measure the old seal and the place that sells seals should be able to sell you a seal. Stores that sell seals are most bearing dealer or NAPA.

cashman

Threads
I think I got one coming from Wise. I noticed that they didn't give a part number for the seal. All they showed was a seal and bushing kit. Hopefully the seal will be in it? It's a 252707 0028-01. If it don't come, I've got a couple of 11hp briggs laying around. I'll just rob a sump off one of them. This one has never been taken apart and those drive plates can be a bear to get off sometimes! Thanks!!!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The seal I am thinking you are talking about is the output shaft seal? That can't be a very hard seal to replace. I can't understand why you would want to change the engine case for this repair? As for the bushing that comes with the seal I think they are talking about a wear ring that presses onto the crankshaft.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
They must have had a problem with that model, as it calls for the kit of the DU bearing, and a new seal.
To install a DU bearing, requires a very expensive reamer kit, which very few Briggs dealer has. I bought the
kit for the old twin L-head back in the 90's and used it once, it cost several hundred bucks back then.

Attachments

• sump.gif
    sump.gif
    23.8 KB · Views: 15

cashman

Threads
Yea I'm not going to go through all that. If I can't use what shows up, I'll just rob a sump and get it back to going. Thanks!!!

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK fish, what is a DU bearing? Could the bush be to resize the case for an available seal?

cashman

Threads
I think what Briggs recomends is reaming the plain bearing out and installing a brass or similar kind of bushing? The question is will the seal will be the same as the old one. Don't know at this point. That is why I have the backup plan to just replace the sump with a seal already in it if the new seal doesn't work. Thie leaking seal is a problem I'm sure some of you guys that like the old Snappers will experience at some point in time. I'll keep you all posted on what I discover. Thanks!!!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Go to NAPA with the seal size and replace the seal, no big job, seal is cheap to buy and be done with it. If it leaks after then replace the engine case but you will have very little $'s involved and I just would think problem solved. You shouldn't even have to remove the engine from the chassis. Now if are going to install a used engine case are you going to use the old seal over?