Bent tie rod

greeves

Forum Newbie
Threads
I thought I would share an interesting occurrence. I was mowing when suddenly the tractor engine died and would not restart, not even a peep. A search of the electrical system revealed a blown fuse. I replaced it, and the tractor started, but it made a screeching noise and the fuse blew again. I went through the mower deck to make sure there was not a binding pulley, I replaced the belt to the deck (and it was in need of replacement), but I had not solved the problem. I removed the mower deck, and then I discovered the problem. I had driven one front wheel into a hole in my yard (two dogs who thought they heard someone in China and were going to dig their way to him), and the tie rod was badly bent. It was making contact with the drive pulley on the crankshaft. This was the cause of the screech and the blown fuses. If you encounter an "electrical" problem, add this item to your checklist.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
A hole so big and deep that it bent the tie rod you sure must of known when you hit it?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hold on now you put a new belt on and did not see the steering arm touching the pulley.

You hit a big hole while you was turning and never thought that might have been the problem?

Last edited:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Greeves, I relate to the dog holes. There is a huge dog yard here dug up so bad I have to weedwhack because I fear running the rider into holes. My dogs never found China. :laughing::confused2:

greeves

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did know when I ran into the hole, but the tractor did not stop at that point; it took a while for it to blow the fuse. Because of a blown fuse, I was looking for something electrical, not something mechanical. I replaced the mower drive belt because after determining that the problem must be mechanical rather than electrical, I was inspecting the mower deck to make sure all pulleys were turning freely, that none had frozen a bearing, for example. During this procedure I noted that the belt for the mower deck was cracked and needed to be replaced. It was not that I thought changing a belt would solve this problem, but it would eliminate a potential problem later. By the way, it was not a bent steering arm, it was a bent tie rod. As long as we are being critical, what is the matter with you, can't you read plain English. I am sorry for this last bit, but I was attempting to relate my experience in the hope that it might help someone else who at some point could encounter a similar issue. I did not realize this was an attack forum. I think this post will be my last in that I do not need the negative criticism. I think there needs to be one more icon, one with a raised digit, but not the thumb.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Greeves, Both the gentlemen who responded are normally supportive like most in this forum. String along a while and I think you will see the cordial side. motoman

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, I poisoned them and made them that way!!!!

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nothing is gained by diss-ing. If you are feeling hostile or are having a bad day mow harder and kick some weeds. Every questionable response ( I make plenty) only drives newbies further back in the classroom. If this forum has value it is in measured response and information for all. I realize professonals sometimes have short fuses over mistakes and basic questions. Like brere rabbit said , " if ya ain't got nothing nice to say...." PEACE :thumbsup:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I sure didn't mean to offend you on my post. I was just saying it sure must have been a big hole. I am far from perfect my self because I have hit holes and rocks with my mower and yes my mower has battle scars. You should be able to remove the rod and straighten it. The main thing you should watch for is your toe-in or out which I measure my front wheels with a tape measure. Don't have a dog but a cat and the only holes she digs is in her litter pan.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think it's best if I just don't say anything more about your story.
Did not mean to hurt you feelings
And thank for your post now we know if we blow a fuse to look at the tie rod.

I hope you stick around as I feel you could help others with your knowledge.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))