John Deere LT 155 K51 transmission-need help

mudcat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anyone know what the difference between a K51A and a K51B TUFF TORQ hydrostatic transmission is on the JOHN DEERE LT 155? I recently put in a new pump and pump motor in the transmission but there is one part I am not sure if I installed it correct, the motor housing which I have a red x on it in the posted photos. I am not sure if I need to have it the way now or turn it upside down with narrow end facing up. The schematics they show are not helpful on the tuff torq site. An actual photo is much better to see clearly. The last photo is when I first opened the transmission up. I took a photo to know how everything is put together. But as you can see the pump motor housing is facing different than what they have in the schematics. Do you think something was put together wrong at the factory?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't recall the correct way... But, you should stick with your original plan...
"I took a photo to know how everything is put together."... Put it back as you found it, it is Very unlikely that the factory assembled it wrong. :smile:KennyV

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
According to the parts diagram that I found the narrow part of the motor block should point down as in the last photo. I have attached a parts diagram from partstree for you to see.

2 cycle oil - Opti2, Opti4, and Chemical Rebuild - Premium Lubricants from Interlube International

I cannot find a service manual for a K51, but have a manual for a K61. Check page 26, I don't know which way you should install it, but you could assemble it, coating everything with a thin coat of oil, put cover on with no sealer, turn the imput slowly with a drill and test which direction the axles turn. I know that this is not exact, but it may save you time and effort in the long run.

https://www.tufftorqservices.com/EnvEEdefault/FlatHTML/TechInfo/docs/manuals/k61.pdf

mudcat

Forum Newbie
Threads
According to the parts diagram that I found the narrow part of the motor block should point down as in the last photo. I have attached a parts diagram from partstree for you to see.

2 cycle oil - Opti2, Opti4, and Chemical Rebuild - Premium Lubricants from Interlube International

I cannot find a service manual for a K51, but have a manual for a K61. Check page 26, I don't know which way you should install it, but you could assemble it, coating everything with a thin coat of oil, put cover on with no sealer, turn the imput slowly with a drill and test which direction the axles turn. I know that this is not exact, but it may save you time and effort in the long run.

https://www.tufftorqservices.com/EnvEEdefault/FlatHTML/TechInfo/docs/manuals/k61.pdf

You stated it should go back like the last photo with the tapered narrow end pointing down. Well on the last photo it is the narrow end pointing up. This is the way it looked when I took a photo first opening the cover..nothing touched. But what is strange I sent this photo to Tuff Torq and they said I should put it the way is in the schematic. Which is the opposite of the last photo. But to who is to say if they even looked at this photo?

mudcat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looks like should read what I post. Here is the parts tree diagram. Sorry

Parts and Diagrams for Simplicity 1693700 - 2617HC, 17HP Hydro

This simplicity manual includes a diagram for the K51.

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/jgEDGP_dtJ4tG6Eyc7mRgtLvBCd6.pdf

The only thing is this K51 you show the diagram is for one on a Simplicity mower. Did not John Deere LT 155 mowers come with a K51B transmission only which is different than a K51 or a K51A what ever they call it?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If my memory is any good at my age, the differences between the different K51 transaxles is the length and type of axles used on the different tractors. Internal parts should be the same.

mudcat

Forum Newbie
Threads
If my memory is any good at my age, the differences between the different K51 transaxles is the length and type of axles used on the different tractors. Internal parts should be the same.

I looked at the parts list for a K51 and a K51B and the pump case has different part numbers but there motor and pump are the same.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, but not being there to see exactly what you have, I would agree with Kenny V and reassemble it the way you found it on disaasembly. That's the hard part of this forum.

moto77

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can you check / add oil to the K51 trans ? It's in a Deere LT 155. and if so, what kind of oil ?