WEEDeater One WE261

Gramps101

Threads
Does anyone out there knows how to remove the trans axle to this tricky mower. I have a wonderful mower that likes to go in reverse with no problems, but skips or will not go in fwd.

jbxtex

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anyone out there knows how to remove the trans axle to this tricky mower. I have a wonderful mower that likes to go in reverse with no problems, but skips or will not go in fwd.

I know this is late, but...

Remove the nut from the right bearing, leave the bolts on the bearing. Unbolt the gear-shifter, and pull cotter pins as needed. Unbolt the rear plate, bottom plates, right plate (that also holds the wheel). You need snap-ring pliers to remove the small chain sprockets on either side. pull snap rings that are on the right side of the trans-axle shaft. Be careful not to deform any of them too much. Once you do this, you can disengage the wheel drive chains from the sprockets.. If you'd like, you can remove the brake disc sprocket but no need. You can remove the chain from the transaxle sprocket like you would on a 10 speed bike chain. Once you decoupled the chains and removed snap-rings.. tap out the shaft from the left side to the right, by using a bolt and a hammer. Lightly tapping it from the center of the bearing. Dont tap bearing, just the center shaft. Comes out pretty easily. If you carefully kept track of all the parts, you should be golden. Put everything back in reverse order and test. As daunting as it may seem, its not as tricky as it looks.. Don't give up!! I had the same problem.. :cool:

Sparky2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, jbxtex,

This was very helpful to me, fixing a WE261 for my young neighbor today. Thank you! I would like to add a few things I learned:

The nut on the shaft of the right bearing you mention in your first sentence is for the Differential Gear Assembly shaft.
Use a pair of Vice-Grips to grab the shaft just inside the right Transaxle frame plate, between the plate and the drive sprocket. It is only 3/4" long, but a small 6" vice grip will fit in there. You have to set the vice grip really tight, and use both hands to close it, so it will not slip. That will stop the shaft from moving, so that you can turn the nut on the shaft without turning the differential gearbox and putting potentially damaging torque on it. (I was only replacing the main drive chain, so did not have to tap out the shaft, nor remove any snap rings or sprockets, just pulled the right plate off.) It is running well now, also after a good carbeuretor cleaning!

I know this is late, but...

Remove the nut from the right bearing, leave the bolts on the bearing. Unbolt the gear-shifter, and pull cotter pins as needed. Unbolt the rear plate, bottom plates, right plate (that also holds the wheel). You need snap-ring pliers to remove the small chain sprockets on either side. pull snap rings that are on the right side of the trans-axle shaft. Be careful not to deform any of them too much. Once you do this, you can disengage the wheel drive chains from the sprockets.. If you'd like, you can remove the brake disc sprocket but no need. You can remove the chain from the transaxle sprocket like you would on a 10 speed bike chain. Once you decoupled the chains and removed snap-rings.. tap out the shaft from the left side to the right, by using a bolt and a hammer. Lightly tapping it from the center of the bearing. Dont tap bearing, just the center shaft. Comes out pretty easily. If you carefully kept track of all the parts, you should be golden. Put everything back in reverse order and test. As daunting as it may seem, its not as tricky as it looks.. Don't give up!! I had the same problem.. :cool:

jbxtex

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good work! :drink: In my case, the part that would have damaged by the aforementioned torque was already bad (transaxle), I believe anyway.. But I definitely think its smarter to use your vice-grip method to lock the shaft in place.. Nonetheless, glad I could help.

Gotta admit, this mower gets a bad rap, but it's not that bad. I keep it in 1st gear though.. I think going any higher puts a strain on the stock friction wheel. I'll be upgrading that part with the snapper wheel.

Thanks, jbxtex,

This was very helpful to me, fixing a WE261 for my young neighbor today. Thank you! I would like to add a few things I learned:

The nut on the shaft of the right bearing you mention in your first sentence is for the Differential Gear Assembly shaft.
Use a pair of Vice-Grips to grab the shaft just inside the right Transaxle frame plate, between the plate and the drive sprocket. It is only 3/4" long, but a small 6" vice grip will fit in there. You have to set the vice grip really tight, and use both hands to close it, so it will not slip. That will stop the shaft from moving, so that you can turn the nut on the shaft without turning the differential gearbox and putting potentially damaging torque on it. (I was only replacing the main drive chain, so did not have to tap out the shaft, nor remove any snap rings or sprockets, just pulled the right plate off.) It is running well now, also after a good carbeuretor cleaning!

belou

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I am Micha? and I have the same problem with my Weed Eater, transmission grinding...I tried to do what you said but I was unable I think I did not understand very well.
Could you please help me a little more ? may be with some pictures of pieces to move or something else ?

Thank you so much

Sparky2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I am Micha? and I have the same problem with my Weed Eater, transmission grinding...I tried to do what you said but I was unable I think I did not understand very well.
Could you please help me a little more ? may be with some pictures of pieces to move or something else ?

Thank you so much

Ok, Michael,

Here is a photo with the vise-grips in place. The ones in the photo are long-nosed, but I think I used the standard jaw type when I took the nut off. Good luck.

Sparky2

Attachments

• IMG_0652.jpg
    IMG_0652.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 55

truelove813

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, Michael,

Here is a photo with the vise-grips in place. The ones in the photo are long-nosed, but I think I used the standard jaw type when I took the nut off. Good luck.

Sparky2
I just noticed some of the transmissions are on opposite sides my sprockets are on right side and this one is on left side so this might help some people

Diamond Jim

Forum Newbie
Threads
Question: When talking about right and left side of mower, when sitting on mower would this be correct for R or L ? Or might you mean L or R by looking from front of mower ?

Remove the nut from the right bearing, leave the bolts on the bearing. Unbolt the gear-shifter, and pull cotter pins as needed. Unbolt the rear plate, bottom plates, right plate (that also holds the wheel). You need snap-ring pliers to remove the small chain sprockets on either side. pull snap rings that are on the right side of the trans-axle shaft. Be careful not to deform any of them too much. Once you do this, you can disengage the wheel drive chains from the sprockets.. If you'd like, you can remove the brake disc sprocket but no need. You can remove the chain from the transaxle sprocket like you would on a 10 speed bike chain. Once you decoupled the chains and removed snap-rings.. tap out the shaft from the left side to the right, by using a bolt and a hammer. Lightly tapping it from the center of the bearing. Dont tap bearing, just the center shaft. Comes out pretty easily. If you carefully kept track of all the parts, you should be golden. Put everything back in reverse order and test. As daunting as it may seem, its not as tricky as it looks.. Don't give up!! I had the same problem.. :cool:[/QUOTE]

maddog25

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good work! :drink: In my case, the part that would have damaged by the aforementioned torque was already bad (transaxle), I believe anyway.. But I definitely think its smarter to use your vice-grip method to lock the shaft in place.. Nonetheless, glad I could help.

Gotta admit, this mower gets a bad rap, but it's not that bad. I keep it in 1st gear though.. I think going any higher puts a strain on the stock friction wheel. I'll be upgrading that part with the snapper wheel.
I know it's long after you posted. Did you upgrade to Snapper dive wheel? Did it improve drive? What part number?