Troy-Bilt surging problems

Mtn.Mike

Threads
I have a Troy-Bilt 21" walk behind mower with a Honda motor. There is no throttle on this mower so there is no way to adjust the speed. The mower surges all the time but seems to cut just fine.
Is this the way it's supposed to run. I'm used to mowers with throttle control and a choke that isn't controlled by the motor.

Thanks, Mike

Mtn.Mike

Threads
I'm going to try this again hoping for some input. Do these new mowers with no throttle control constantly surge as if they are first getting gas and then not getting gas. I'm working on this mower for a friend and this has me baffled.
Usually if they are surging it's a fuel delivery problem or something to do with the governor but I'm at a loss on this one.

Thanks, Mike

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The first thing I would do to solve surging problems, is to remove the carb, disassemble, and give it a very good cleaning. Then I would reassemble with a new float needle and seat. Before doing this, post the engine model numbers. The reason I ask for this, is that some of the Honda carbs have gotten so cheap, it may be cheap and easier to just replace the carb.

possum

Threads
The cheapo Honda engines like that one has terrible carbs. Just buy a new carb.