New John Deere 318

Mtn.Mike

Threads
I just bought a new (to me) 318 with 819 hours on it. Is there anything that I need to know about this tractor?
I changed the oil, new filter, new air filter, greased it and put in new plugs so everything is ready to go.

Thanks in advance

BBO

Threads
I just bought a new (to me) 318 with 819 hours on it. Is there anything that I need to know about this tractor?
I changed the oil, new filter, new air filter, greased it and put in new plugs so everything is ready to go.

I never worked on one, but I have read that these were good mowers.:thumbsup:
Sharpen the blades and post how it's working out.

DaveTN

Threads
My friend has one of those big mowers and I worked on it last year with no success. Problem is it will start fine, mow for a few minutes then shut off like you killed the switch. Was getting fire, so went through the fuel system but found nothing. Took apart the fuel pump, cleaned it, checked the lines, nothing...so put it back. Solid, heavy mower but still have to go through it again. I haven't heard anything bad said about them. This mower ran great until just last year then started that sudden dying and hard to start back.

BBO

Threads
Problem is it will start fine, mow for a few minutes then shut off like you killed the switch. This mower ran great until just last year then started that sudden dying and hard to start back.

Maybe it is a bad switch. If it never sputtered or missed it's probably electrical and obviously common to both sides.
Wire loose, wire shorting to the frame, loose fuse, or something corroded.?

Mtn.Mike

Threads
Well I got to mow with this beast and I'm very impressed. It is a big mower and the 39" deck could be bigger but it mows very well and has plenty of power.
After mowing I decided to wash it and made the mistake of getting water on the coil so she wouldn't start. I removed the coil and dried it off and then put it back on and it fired right up.
I'm going to try to find a 50" deck for it because a tractor this big just looks funny with such a small deck.

Mike :laughing: