Honda 20HP Starting Issue

Scooter49

Threads
Honda 18HP VTWIN Starting Issue On Hustler Fastrac

** Correction - Engine is a 18HP VTWIN Tag identifies this as Engine Family 1HNXS 6712AK and the stamped numbe on the block shows QAFX GJAC - 2007264 (S/N ?)

We have a 9 year old Hustler Fastrak with a Honda Engine that is giving us fits.
The wife is the primary operator and I have to give her credit for her work around but I would like to fix this issue.

The mower refuses to start after sitting - especially if we have had any moisture/dew. The mower sits in an open pole barn.
Her work around is to use a hair dryer blowing hot air at the back end of the mower engine. Usually after about 10-15 mins the mower will start - but not always. Sometimes we have to tow it out into the yard in the sun and let it sit for a few hours.

Local 'servicing' dealer has no clue about the problem. Storing it 'inside' is not an option.

My suspicion is some part is collecting moisture as it cools down during the humid night air. Question is which part? Replacing piece by piece is not appealing to my pocketbook.

Any Ideas folks.
Also about to replace the spindle bearings as one or more has just started whining - high pitched whine. At least the spindle bearings appear to be the location of the noise. Also open to suggestions on that issue too.

Thanks to all in advance from a newcomer to this site.

Attachments

• IMAG0471_ZOE006_SHOT.jpg
    IMAG0471_ZOE006_SHOT.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Tom59

Threads
What engine model , guessing , coils or bad plug wires.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
"The mower refuses to start after sitting - especially if we have had any moisture/dew."

Coil, kill switch or kill wire.

Scooter49

Threads
Starting Issue

Hard to understand how a plug wire would be 'fixed' by blowing hot air on it. The Coil I understand perhaps,
but I don't see the coil anywhere in the path where the hair dryer is being used. Some one suggested that moisture or rust has built up on the
flywheel magnets. And of course having an 'authorized' repair man say he has no clue doesn't help. This was even after they had the mower in their shop to work on for that very reason. If I had money to throw at the problem I would replace the engine - Honda engines have never performed well for me.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Starting Issue

Hard to understand how a plug wire would be 'fixed' by blowing hot air on it. The Coil I understand perhaps,
but I don't see the coil anywhere in the path where the hair dryer is being used. Some one suggested that moisture or rust has built up on the
flywheel magnets. And of course having an 'authorized' repair man say he has no clue doesn't help. This was even after they had the mower in their shop to work on for that very reason. If I had money to throw at the problem I would replace the engine - Honda engines have never performed well for me.

First you ask questions, then you question the answers...!
Then you say someone suggested moisture on the flywheel, rust on the flywheel shouldn't make any difference.
Your "authorized repair man" can't be that good if he has had it in to fix it and can't, or doesn't know what the problem is.
It seems that you will need a part or parts, and you are not willing to put money towards it, is there need for us here to give you any more help with this..?. at the end of the day, its up to you.

Scooter49

Threads
It's not a problem to spend money to repair a mower when I know that the part will fix the problem. BUT I do have a problem just replacing parts in hope of getting the right part somewhere along the line. For instance I found a post here or on another board that suggested the problem could be the "ignition module" this engine has nothing listed as an ignition module. Ignition coil, yes a right and left.

And yes I have zero confidence in an "authorized" dealership that shrugs their shoulders even when they have the mower there to work on. Seems that perhaps they aren't interested in the job. Of course as I look around they have lots of Hustler mowers for sale but their shop seems to be primarily occupied with larger equipment. That suggests that they want the sales but have no interest in service work, which normally is a money maker for most shops.

In any case I am hoping that someone has experience with this problem. I did find a thread hear that sounds very similar even down to the engine brand and model but I found nothing regarding if the original poster actually found the solution.

I am looking for solutions but not just WAGs that lead to spending money because someone 'thinks' this could, maybe, be the cause. I've already replaced a hydro drive unit at less than half the dealers estimate for the part alone I know I can do the work, I know the solutions are sometimes tough to figure out but... I just want to make sure what I replace needs replacing. I am also going to rebuild the spindles now because one or more is starting to whine occasionally. Money for parts that need replacing is fine but on a whim or someone's guess isn't what I'm looking for.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I know the solutions are sometimes tough to figure out but... I just want to make sure what I replace needs replacing.

Right so next time its unwilling to start give the coils and leads a good soak with WD40 leave for about 30mins, better an hour, then see if engine will start up.

WD40 is something you should have in the garage.

Scooter49

Threads
Thanks! Certainly worth a try. Today the mower is starting fine but it's hot, dry and sitting out under the shade trees. I'll set a can of WD40 next to the mower to remind me next time around.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well I got some news for you. If the dealer can't fix it with the mower in front of him how do you think anyone can fix it a long ways off over a forum then other then a guess. When I give any answer for repairs I try to keep them generic. I have been a mechanic for over 60 years and I still have to look for problems. From the sounds of your mower not starting it has to be a moisture problem in the ignition system. If I was to look for this problem I would wet the system with water and work from there till it starts. Did I see it has two coils if so it would still run on one cylinder if it had a bad coil, but no power.

Tom59

Threads
Maybe the hairdryer isn't fixing it , maybe its a freak thing. Why not check continuity on the wires. Plug wires where the connect to the plug itself can and do split , crack or corrode. I'd say a silicone spray to keep moisture out. Without a mower in front of either one of us the fixes are complete guesses. -obviously.

Coils- check the plug for spark surely you can check spark. Got spark - check fuel maybe the line has a vacuum in it. Maybe the fuel filter is filthy. Rust where the coils sit could be an issue -you'd have no spark.

Disconnect the fuel source , check for fuel. You only need a couple things to start an engine. Kill switches could do it that another easy check. I'm not sure your handles control the brake like mine does , if it does, check the switches there. Make sure you have contact.

It's not rocket science. Start with spark , then fuel , then switches , look over a manual and see where they are if need be.