Going Up a Mountain side or Hill

BGC

Threads
How does your John Deere handle going up the side of a mountain or steep hill? That is one of the things I love best about mine.

Kingwood990

Threads
How does your John Deere handle going up the side of a mountain or steep hill? That is one of the things I love best about mine.

Mine does great.
I have HDAP tires (carilie feild trax) and diff lock on my tractor.
Also it has a low center of gravity and is pretty wide so it is stable.
I am yet to get it stuck (knock on wood).

jenkinsph

Threads
I am very satisfied with the X749 performance in this area, steep grades and LCG is one of the reasons I have it, AWS being the other.

merc49

Forum Newbie
Threads
are you telling me you have a diff lock on Your john deere? How do I get one on my 2005 GT 245 20 hp hydrostatic? havent had any info from the local JD back yard mecenics or dealer yet It sure does need it. merc 49.thanks

Kingwood990

Threads
are you telling me you have a diff lock on Your john deere? How do I get one on my 2005 GT 245 20 hp hydrostatic? havent had any info from the local JD back yard mecenics or dealer yet It sure does need it. merc 49.thanks

The GT series never came with diff lock.
The GX series did.
If you want diff lock real bad you can look on Ebay for the rear end out of a GX series machine. (yrs 2004-2006)
The rear end in your GT 245 is the same model as the GX 255's rear end but is a different version.

If you can't find a rear end with diff lock you could try different tires or tire chains.
I have been running these tires with very good luck.
2dkafzq.jpg

You could also try adding wheel weights. 55 pounds on each wheel will add a lot of traction.
Hope this helps.

jenkinsph

Threads
I have only had to engage the differential lock once on my 749 so far. Jumped right out of the hole when I did.